Stephanie cooks: Chicken Tortilla Soup

Monday, November 7, 2011

A couple weeks ago, I went to my friend Neri's house for a crafting day.  We had plans to shop for Fall crafting supplies, eat tortilla soup, and carve pumpkins with the kids.

Well, the crafting was a big, huge fail.  We couldn't find anything that we were looking for so we kind of gave up.

The kids carved pumpkins and had a great time and the tortilla soup was to die for!  Neri sent me the recipe and I made it last week for dinner.  I've had the leftovers twice already and I'm very sad that there's none left.

Do yourself a favor - make this STAT! (Joey says so.)



Chicken Tortilla Soup

What you need:

  • 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 Tbsp. Knorr chicken bouillon
  • 1 Tbsp. salt 
  • 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
  • 1 bunch cilantro
  • 1/2 onion
  • 1 stick of celery
  • 2 jars salsa
  • corn tortillas (white or yellow)
  • shredded cheese
  • avocado

How you make it:

  1. Boil chicken (from frozen works great!) with bouillon. 
  2. Chop celery, onion and cilantro.
  3. When chicken is cooked, remove it from the water, but don't dump the water. 
  4. Add celery, onion, cilantro, salsas, garlic, and salt to the water. 
  5. Shred the chicken and add back into the pot for about 20 minutes.
  6. While the soup is cooking, cut the tortillas into 1 inch strips.
  7. Fry tortilla strips in oil over medium-high heat. (Homemade tortilla strips in the key to having crunchy strips in your soup.  Regular chips will get soggy.)
  8. Pour your bowl of soup, add cheese, avocado, and tortilla strips.

Note: When I made this last week, I cooked the chicken in my crock pot all day, then started with step #4 when I got home.  Next time, I think I'll just dump it all in and let it all cook together in the crock pot.

Also, I made a few minor changes from the recipe Neri gave me, but I'm sure she won't mind. :)



3 comments:

Staci said...

there u are!!! btw i made a dr pepper cake the other day, i used dark choc cocoa instead of regular which im kinda regretting but it came out okay....this looks delish, ima have to try it! see u tonight

Aimee said...

the title sound so yummy but the picture looks so fancy! good job! you're a better wife than me LOL

Neri said...

I'm going to have to try it this way! YUMMO!

let's get acquainted

My Photo
THE Stephanie
I’m Stephanie - wife to one extremely handsome cop; mother to two extremely silly kids. The hubs and I have been married since February ’99. I love him more each day and simply can’t get enough of him. My daughter, Ashton, is 12 going on 17. She’s beautiful, creative, smart, and oh, so sassy. Taylor, our son, is 8 and is so much like his daddy it’s scary. He makes me laugh all the time with the silly things he says and does. He won’t remember what you told him 5 minutes from now, just like his daddy. I love to laugh and spend time with friends and family. I’ve also recently discovered a love for cooking and enjoy sharing recipes. I love finding new blog friends, so be sure to leave a comment so I can do the same!
View my complete profile

I'm a weather addict