Real.

Thursday, March 17, 2011

On Monday afternoon, I was counting down the minutes until the start of my anticipated 2-day stay-cation. We didn't have huge plans, but were looking forward to taking the kids to Sea World and just relaxing for a couple of days.

Monday evening, Joey and I had the best time just being together, snuggling on the couch, and catching up on some DVR'd shows that were getting way too old.

The kids were even enjoying some time together, playing video games, watching movies, and being silly.

Joey and I went to bed looking forward to sleeping in and enjoying a nice day with the kids - just being together. It's rare these days, with Joey's schedule, that we get to do things like this all day, so we were excited.

All of this came to a screeching halt when Joey got up at 6am to adjust the fan and checked his phone to see that he had 15 missed calls and numerous text messages.

Early Tuesday morning, at about 3am, an SAPD officer and close co-worker of Joey's was killed when she was hit head-on by a suspected drunk driver. Witnesses (other officers who were following her to a call) said they didn't see any headlights.

Shock. Disbelief. Devastation. These words don't even begin to describe it.

She and Joey worked together regularly and frequently made calls together. He recounted numerous stories to me on Tuesday and just couldn't get her smile out of his head. She was happy. She loved her job. She loved her daughter. How is it that she won't be there on Thursday when we all meet up at Valero mid-shift?

I'm trying my best to comfort him, but honestly, I just feel helpless.  I don't know what to say.  There's nothing to say.

In addition to the tragic loss, I'm terrified.  How will I ever be able to sleep again while Joey is working?  I know that God created Joey to be a cop, and I trust God with him, but it's still so unsettling.

So in the name of trying to do everything I can to prevent this from happening to someone else, please - PLEASE! - if you drink, don't drive. It's really pretty simple. Also, if you're driving late at night, don't drive in the fast lane. Most of the time, this is the lane that wrong way drivers will be in because they think (in their drunken state) that they are actually on the correct side of the road. Unfortunately, this didn't help Stephanie. She was doing everything right.



8 comments:

Jenster said...

understanding that these sensless losses happen too frequently to innocent people but when it happens to a police officer, it just seems to put this at a higher level of tragedy.

i am so very sorry that joey is having to deal with the loss of a friend and collegue.

The LaJeunesse Family said...

ugh. so sad steph. no matter how often we wives see this, it never gets easier. it never becomes okay....

Mighty M said...

What a tragedy. :(

Drew's Mom said...

That is beyond awful.. so sorry =(

Kelly said...

Oh, I am so sorry. Praying for you guys..know this can't be easy being a wife of a police officer or a partner.

Melissa said...

I cannot even imagine the terror you feel right now! I will most definitely be praying for your peace of mind and for Joey's safety!

Trina said...

Oh Stephanie, that is terrible. Such a senseless thing is so sad!

My hubby has a dangerous job too {he works around huge furnaces that go up to thousands of degrees}. One night something backfired and he was thisclose to getting hit in the face with a fireball. So dang scary. His coworker did get hurt, burns on his face and singed all the hair off his arms. He was in the hospital for a while. Needless to say I didn't sleep well after that for a long time. I just had to pray that the Lord would watch over him, that's all I could do.

That's all you can do. {HUGS}

Tracey said...

Stories like that just make me mad. It's so wrong. Why couldn't it have been the drunk killed?
Prayers for her family, and her "family" in the police department. She will be missed.

let's get acquainted

My Photo
THE Stephanie
I’m Stephanie - wife to one extremely handsome cop; mother to two extremely silly kids. The hubs and I have been married since February ’99. I love him more each day and simply can’t get enough of him. My daughter, Ashton, is 12 going on 17. She’s beautiful, creative, smart, and oh, so sassy. Taylor, our son, is 8 and is so much like his daddy it’s scary. He makes me laugh all the time with the silly things he says and does. He won’t remember what you told him 5 minutes from now, just like his daddy. I love to laugh and spend time with friends and family. I’ve also recently discovered a love for cooking and enjoy sharing recipes. I love finding new blog friends, so be sure to leave a comment so I can do the same!
View my complete profile

I'm a weather addict