In my day...

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

This morning on the way to school, the kids were complaining about shows that didn't record on their DVR - Taylor with his wrestling and Ashton with an episode of iCarly.

Without even thinking, I busted out, "You both need to be thankful for what you have because when daddy and I were younger, if we weren't sitting in front of the TV when it came on, we didn't see it!"

To which Ashton questioned, "Why didn't you record it?"

"Because we didn't have that technology!"

I thought of following up with "and we had to walk to school, uphill, both ways, in the snow too!"  But I just left it at that.

And then I sulked the entire drive to work because dang, I'm old.

*Yes, we did have a VCR, but since Ashton probably doesn't even know what a VCR is, I opted not to date myself any further by having to explain that as well.


7 comments:

Mighty M said...

That is so funny! We no longer have a VCR either, but I still have plenty of VHS tapes around. I ought to get rid of them but maybe we'll save them for some cool time capsule or something. :)

Rebecca Watson said...

Oh dear! How crazy! I love this post! So adorable. . . hope you are having a great day!

www.justcherishtoday.com

The Shabby Princess said...

I remember when DVD players came out and my boyfriend bought a bunch of DVDs but I didn't because "ehh, it's just a passing fad". So yes, I took all my VHS tapes to college with me. HA!

And what in the world did we do before DVR and TiVo??

Trina said...

I'm right there with ya sister! Stinks to get old :( lol

Melissa said...

Haha, I used to record everything on my vcr too! Thank God for DVR's!

Jeni said...

LOL.... hard to believe we never had DVR or Cell phones or Computers even.....If your old, I'm older :)! feel better?xoxo

Isabelle said...

Steph you sound like my dad, he would also add that he worked at lunch and didn't get to eat...

let's get acquainted

My Photo
THE Stephanie
I’m Stephanie - wife to one extremely handsome cop; mother to two extremely silly kids. The hubs and I have been married since February ’99. I love him more each day and simply can’t get enough of him. My daughter, Ashton, is 12 going on 17. She’s beautiful, creative, smart, and oh, so sassy. Taylor, our son, is 8 and is so much like his daddy it’s scary. He makes me laugh all the time with the silly things he says and does. He won’t remember what you told him 5 minutes from now, just like his daddy. I love to laugh and spend time with friends and family. I’ve also recently discovered a love for cooking and enjoy sharing recipes. I love finding new blog friends, so be sure to leave a comment so I can do the same!
View my complete profile

I'm a weather addict