In memory...

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

It's been just over 4 months since the San Antonio Police Department buried one of its own.

Yesterday, we buried another officer who was also hit and killed by a drunk driver.

Joey worked with this officer, Officer Stephanie Brown.  They were friends.  Yesterday, I took the day off to attend the funeral and burial with Joey.  I can't even explain the pride I felt to stand next to him.

The funeral service was beautiful and everyone talked about Stephanie's infectious smile and how she could light up a room.  She was truly an amazing woman and has touched so many people.


We left the funeral service in line with the procession, which stretched - bumper to bumper - for over 6 miles.  As we turned to enter the highway, we drove under this:


All along the highway, there were fire trucks parked on the side, with firefighters standing by observing the procession.  Other citizens would also pull over to honor Stephanie's service as we drove by.  It was such an amazing sight.

Although this is such a tragedy, and Stephanie certainly left us all too soon, it was comforting to learn that she was a child of God.  To me, that is the only thing that makes this bearable.



5 comments:

The Shabby Princess said...

Goodness. I'm so sorry for the loss of the SAPD, her family, friends, and of course, Joey. I can't imagine how hard it must be to be married to a police officer and know the danger they are in. I am so grateful for their service, and the service of their friends and family. Stephanie Brown, and all members of SAPD will be in my prayers.

Simply Amy said...

I am so thankful to hear the she is a believer!

I live in St. Pete FL and we have had 3 police men taken from us. It breaks my heart.

God Bless!

Patience said...

Such a sad world we live in. I pray for peace for her family.

Patience said...

Such a sad world we live in. I pray for peace for her family.

Katie said...

I got chills when I saw your pics. Praying for her friends and family.

let's get acquainted

My Photo
THE Stephanie
I’m Stephanie - wife to one extremely handsome cop; mother to two extremely silly kids. The hubs and I have been married since February ’99. I love him more each day and simply can’t get enough of him. My daughter, Ashton, is 12 going on 17. She’s beautiful, creative, smart, and oh, so sassy. Taylor, our son, is 8 and is so much like his daddy it’s scary. He makes me laugh all the time with the silly things he says and does. He won’t remember what you told him 5 minutes from now, just like his daddy. I love to laugh and spend time with friends and family. I’ve also recently discovered a love for cooking and enjoy sharing recipes. I love finding new blog friends, so be sure to leave a comment so I can do the same!
View my complete profile

I'm a weather addict