My Job Chart

Monday, February 28, 2011

A few weeks back, I came across a fabulous website on another blog (unfortunately, I can't remember which one).  I'm always looking for ways to get the kids to do their chores without me hounding them, and I thought this might be my answer.


After a few weeks of using this site, I must say I'm really liking it! 

The way it works is that you create an account for your family, then create chores and assign them to family members.  You can also assign a point value for each chore, and then translate that into a dollar amount.  Once the kids have completed their chores for the day, they log on to the website and mark them as completed.  They can always see a running total of the number of points (money) that they have earned.  (Oh, and bonus, it will send you an email every night - or however often you'd like - telling you what chores have been completed.)  And because I'm a terribly mean mom, my children also know that it's their responsibility to mark their chores completed.  If they're not marked, I won't know how much to pay them.

Since the kids are very technologically savvy, I thought this might make the whole chore-thing a little more fun than normal.

What I enjoy about it is that I don't nag the kids to the do their chores.  They know what they are (and if they forget, they're right there on the computer) and they have a choice to do them or not.  Of course, if they don't do them, they don't get paid.  Also, if one of them doesn't complete their chore by the time I get home from work, the other child has the opportunity to complete it for them, and bank their money.

Taylor is loving this!  He's always wanting to save up his money for something, so this is really helpful.  He's really connected the idea of working for money in order to purchase something he wants.  In fact, he promptly paid up when I helped him purchase a wrestling match on his iPod Touch.


Ashton, on the other hand... well, she's almost a teenager.  She wants the money to buy things, but she's not yet felt the sting of "if you had completed your chores, you would have enough money to buy that".  It will happen though, I'm sure.

So what about you all?  Did you have chores growing up?  Do your kids have chores now?  How do you get them to accomplish their chores without constantly nagging them?  (Or is that just me? LOL)


4 comments:

Mighty M said...

I was too afraid of my mom's reaction to NOT do my chores!! :) I like this website - what a great idea!!

-Lauren said...

Love it! Thanks for sharing.

the queen said...

I had chores growing up but we didn't get paid to do those chores! lol

Melissa said...

what a fabulous idea! thanks for sharing...my kids are not old enough yet...but i think we can use this as they grow up :) yes i had LOTS of chores growing up and with no incentive to do them and i hated it...looks like this is giving your kids some ownership and pride. nice job :)

let's get acquainted

My Photo
THE Stephanie
I’m Stephanie - wife to one extremely handsome cop; mother to two extremely silly kids. The hubs and I have been married since February ’99. I love him more each day and simply can’t get enough of him. My daughter, Ashton, is 12 going on 17. She’s beautiful, creative, smart, and oh, so sassy. Taylor, our son, is 8 and is so much like his daddy it’s scary. He makes me laugh all the time with the silly things he says and does. He won’t remember what you told him 5 minutes from now, just like his daddy. I love to laugh and spend time with friends and family. I’ve also recently discovered a love for cooking and enjoy sharing recipes. I love finding new blog friends, so be sure to leave a comment so I can do the same!
View my complete profile

I'm a weather addict