I made a bed!

Monday, January 17, 2011

A few weeks ago, I told you that my dad and I made the headboard portion of a complete bed that we were planning on making for Taylor.  On Saturday, we finished the bed!  (Well, it still needs a clear coat, but other than that, it's finished.)


I have to say that dad and I work pretty well together and we both had a great time.  We were also pretty ingenious when it came to on-the-fly solutions.


There was so much sanding.  So.Much.Sanding.


And let me tell you, conditioning the wood takes some major concentration. At least it appears that way.


Oh goodness, the stain.  Dad and I were wearing gloves (medical gloves) and just in case you ever need to know this, oil-based stain will eat through those gloves leaving your fingers a lovely shade of Minwax Red Mahogany.



And because Dad and I were so proud of our (Taylor's) bed, we signed it.  We didn't have a wood burner (because we're not professionals... YET!) so we just used a Sharpie.


And the best part?  Taylor loves it!


In case you're wondering, I found the plans here.  I absolutely love this site and have a growing list of furniture to feed my dad's and my new hobby.


16 comments:

Lauren said...

AMAZING!!! You and your dad make quite the team!!! 

Sunshinemeg said...

You are awesome! (Not to mention handy) How cool! I bet your son appreciates it very much. I love the stain on the wood. Great job.

The Shabby Princess said...

Seriously. Amazing. And what a special thing for your son to have--hopefully it stays with him for a long time and is something that maybe he can pass down to his children! (which, I realize you probably didn't want to think about, him being your baby and all. Sorry!)

Ashlynn said...

I love it! What a great job you did! I love that site as well we are planning to build our own dining room table soon. I hope it turns out as beautiful as this bed :)

Melissa said...

It is amazing! You and your dad did an incredible job!!

Lauren said...

I LOVE it! It looks so good and I love how you and your Dad were able to do it together :)

Jenny said...

Wow! It looks awesome!

Brandy said...

I love Ana White! I've been reading her blog for well over a year and also have a huge list of things I'd like to build!! Your bed turned out amazing!

Kelly said...

That bed is awesome!! You and your dad did a great job :)

the queen said...

it looks great! i am very impressed!!

partialemptynester said...

OMGoodness, how absolutely cool is this?! LOVE IT!

Jenster said...

oh i just love it! you've got some serious talent my love.

Annie said...

you two are very talented!! the bed came out perfect!!! i LOVE it! glad your little man does too!

Virginia Belle said...

I am so impressed! The bed looks great and I love the storage underneath. This is such a great idea :)

LauraAnn said...

Wow! The bed that you and your dad made turned out amazing! You guys did such a great job! And what a great memory for you and your dad to share together!

Trina said...

Wow, that looks amazing! Great job you two!

let's get acquainted

My Photo
THE Stephanie
I’m Stephanie - wife to one extremely handsome cop; mother to two extremely silly kids. The hubs and I have been married since February ’99. I love him more each day and simply can’t get enough of him. My daughter, Ashton, is 12 going on 17. She’s beautiful, creative, smart, and oh, so sassy. Taylor, our son, is 8 and is so much like his daddy it’s scary. He makes me laugh all the time with the silly things he says and does. He won’t remember what you told him 5 minutes from now, just like his daddy. I love to laugh and spend time with friends and family. I’ve also recently discovered a love for cooking and enjoy sharing recipes. I love finding new blog friends, so be sure to leave a comment so I can do the same!
View my complete profile

I'm a weather addict