A DIY New Year.

Monday, January 3, 2011

New Year's Eve was extremely low-key, to say the least.  Joey had to work, so the kids and I, along with Mimi, had pizza and movie night.

Then I went to bed.  At 10:15.

I know, I know, but I'm just really not into the whole "midnight" thing.  I need my sleep.  And I had to get up early on Saturday because I had a big project to tackle with my dad.

Several months back, when we were getting the house ready to go on the market, I became addicted to DIY and decorating websites.  One day I came across this site, and got seriously motivated to build all sorts of things.  At the time, I was frequenting Home Depot and framing mirrors, creating artwork, installing chair rails, and painting like crazy.  So building furniture seemed like a natural progression. (ha ha)

The first thing I wanted to tackle was a bed for Taylor.  Other than his crib (which transitioned to his toddler bed), he's never had an actual bed, only a frame and mattress.  I thought it was high time for an upgrade.

This is what I chose:


I thought it looked simple enough, so I enlisted my dad to help.  We made our first trip (of three) to Home Depot early Saturday morning to purchase all the supplies and got started building.

There was a ridiculous amount of sanding to be done. Who knew?


And that became the back to the headboard.


It's all a little fuzzy, but I think this is about where it started to fall apart.  Not the bed per se, but the actual supplies.  I was certain on our first trip that we had every piece of wood in the correct dimensions, but alas, I was incorrect.

So, back to the depot we went.  Luckily we were working with a wonderful associate.  Big shout out to Doug!  He was super helpful and made the process a lot less stressful. Hey, we needed a lot of stuff!


Once we returned from our second trip to the depot, things moved right along.  There was more sanding to do, but then came more nailing.  Taylor was dying to help, so he started with helping us clean the dust off of the freshly sanded boards.


What he really wanted to do was use the hammer, but for now he just watched.


It didn't take very long for me to feel sorry for him, though. My dad took his life (or at least his fingers) into his own hands and helped Taylor with the hammer.


Once we got the legs on (above) it was smooth sailing!  Well, except for that one other trip to Home Depot, but we're not talking about that.

Yes, what I thought would only take us a couple hours ended up taking the entire day, but we're so happy with it, we plan on building the base this weekend.(And then we will stain it... but again, not talking about that.)


Thanks Dad for all your help!  I (quite literally) couldn't have done it without you!



7 comments:

Grand Pooba said...

10:15 pm??

Come on girl!

Great job on the bed frame! Who knew you were such a carpenter?

Lauren said...

Turned out AWESOME!!!!! :)

The Shabby Princess said...

It looks great! I love that you were able to build a bed for Taylor.

I am soooo not gifted in the DIY department. I spray painted a big picture frame on Friday and that was a big deal to me, ha!

Oh, and I totally went to bed at 11 on NYE. It would have been earlier, but, I got sucked into a House marathon--can't turn off Hugh Laurie!

Joey said...

im so proud of you babe.

Aubrey said...

Way to go. But most importantly, thank you for wearing earrings while building. You still have to be fashionable. :)

Melissa said...

Wow! That's very impressive!!

Drew's Mom said...

Love it! You guys did a great job. I built the headboard for my bed from that same site. Love it!

let's get acquainted

My Photo
THE Stephanie
I’m Stephanie - wife to one extremely handsome cop; mother to two extremely silly kids. The hubs and I have been married since February ’99. I love him more each day and simply can’t get enough of him. My daughter, Ashton, is 12 going on 17. She’s beautiful, creative, smart, and oh, so sassy. Taylor, our son, is 8 and is so much like his daddy it’s scary. He makes me laugh all the time with the silly things he says and does. He won’t remember what you told him 5 minutes from now, just like his daddy. I love to laugh and spend time with friends and family. I’ve also recently discovered a love for cooking and enjoy sharing recipes. I love finding new blog friends, so be sure to leave a comment so I can do the same!
View my complete profile

I'm a weather addict