Where am I?

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Do you Foursquare? Do you have the location turned on for your Facebook page? Your Twitter app?

These options and applications have been bugging me for months, but maybe it's just because I don't understand the point. I just don't understand why anyone would want everyone to know where you are all the time.

My brother started using Foursquare several months back and it about drove me insane. It seemed like every time he walked down the hall his Twitter was updated with a new location. I think I finally threatened him and he disabled it.

But really, do you seriously want people to know you're at the bank? Or that you're at the mall in the middle of the work day? Or at Starbucks at 8:12, when you're supposed to be at work at 8?

Oh, and let's not forget the whole political aspect of these apps.  Does anyone really care if you're the mayor of some location?  I mean, doesn't that just mean you really should find something better to do than frequent a restaurant so much that you're now the mayor?!  And you've "ousted" someone else from their mayoral seat??

Well, I guess if you get free drinks as the mayor, then there's something to be said for becoming a politician via your cell phone.

I'm so confused!! Someone, please explain this to me. Am I missing out on something fabulous, or has the whole world just gone social media crazy??


3 comments:

ty said...

I think it's creepy. If I want you to know where I am, I'll tell you.

Lauren said...

I don't understand it either. I don't want anyone knowing where I am every second..very creepy

Brandy said...

A lot of businesses in Boise give discounts for being the mayor on FourSquare. I generally "check-in" everywhere, but don't send it to my twitter unless I'm socializing (i.e. at a bar, or happy hour, or event). The Boise twitter community is super tight and I LOVE knowing who else is in the vicinity so that I can connect with them!!

let's get acquainted

My Photo
THE Stephanie
I’m Stephanie - wife to one extremely handsome cop; mother to two extremely silly kids. The hubs and I have been married since February ’99. I love him more each day and simply can’t get enough of him. My daughter, Ashton, is 12 going on 17. She’s beautiful, creative, smart, and oh, so sassy. Taylor, our son, is 8 and is so much like his daddy it’s scary. He makes me laugh all the time with the silly things he says and does. He won’t remember what you told him 5 minutes from now, just like his daddy. I love to laugh and spend time with friends and family. I’ve also recently discovered a love for cooking and enjoy sharing recipes. I love finding new blog friends, so be sure to leave a comment so I can do the same!
View my complete profile

I'm a weather addict