Tribute.

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Yesterday I did something that I pray to God I never have to do again.  I attended the burial of our fallen officer.

Joey went to the funeral service with a fellow officer/classmate from the academy, but I opted out of that one.  I knew it would be too emotional for me.

The wives volunteered desserts for the reception and helped set up and serve, so I went to help.  I stood with another wife outside the reception hall and watched the procession into the cemetery.  It was very moving.  Police car after police car, and then came the police cars from other departments - Sheriff's departments, school police departments, out of town departments (some from as far as 8-9 hours away!).  It was such an awesome tribute.

One of their brothers had fallen.


The burial ended with a 21 gun salute and then an e-tone (emergency tone) was sent out over all the officers radios.  Officer Antillon's badge was retired and 3 police helicopters did a very low fly over.  As you can imagine, it was very emotional for everyone.

This service served as a reminder, though, that my strength is not in Joey, and his ability to protect his own life, but rather it is in God.  The One who holds each of our lives in His hands.

Psalm 121

 1 I lift up my eyes to the hills—
       where does my help come from?
 2 My help comes from the LORD,
       the Maker of heaven and earth.
 3 He will not let your foot slip—
       he who watches over you will not slumber;
 4 indeed, he who watches over Israel
       will neither slumber nor sleep.
 5 The LORD watches over you—
       the LORD is your shade at your right hand;
 6 the sun will not harm you by day,
       nor the moon by night.
 7 The LORD will keep you from all harm—
       he will watch over your life;
 8 the LORD will watch over your coming and going
       both now and forevermore.




10 comments:

Jenster said...

good gosh, just reading this has brought tears to my eyes. it is extremely moving when there are so many honorable men/women who attend a funeral of a fallen friend. it's an awesome sight but so sad at the same time.

so glad you were there, not for you, but for the people who loved the young man who gave his life.

prayers will always be for joey, you and your family.

The Shabby Princess said...

Goodness. I don't really have the words to come up with anything meaningful--but, I'm so sorry for the loss. That's terrible.

Tiffany said...

I can't imagine how heartbreaking that must have been. What a wonderful service, though.

Melissa said...

I honestly cannot imagine having to go through that! I love that they were able to have such a moving serivice for him and his family.

Lauren said...

As sad as this is, it's so beautiful at the same time!!

Patience said...

I am very sorry for your loss. I will be thinking of your family and his during this difficult time.

Ashlynn said...

From one police officer's wife to another, I can't imagine how emotional that was for you and what thoughts must have run through your mind. My heart hurts so much for his family. Prayers for all of you.

Naturally Caffeinated Family said...

I can't imagine. What an amazing story of support. and so sweet of you and the wives to help. Thinking of you all, friend.

Virginia Belle said...

So so sorry to hear about that. I cannot imagine how tough that must have been for you but I admire you so much for being there for that family.

Laura said...

I teared up reading this post. As the girlfriend of a police officer, I can't imagine how the fallen officer's girlfriend and family are feeling. My thoughts and prayers are with them, just as they are always with my police officer when he goes to work. I love the psalm you posted.

let's get acquainted

My Photo
THE Stephanie
I’m Stephanie - wife to one extremely handsome cop; mother to two extremely silly kids. The hubs and I have been married since February ’99. I love him more each day and simply can’t get enough of him. My daughter, Ashton, is 12 going on 17. She’s beautiful, creative, smart, and oh, so sassy. Taylor, our son, is 8 and is so much like his daddy it’s scary. He makes me laugh all the time with the silly things he says and does. He won’t remember what you told him 5 minutes from now, just like his daddy. I love to laugh and spend time with friends and family. I’ve also recently discovered a love for cooking and enjoy sharing recipes. I love finding new blog friends, so be sure to leave a comment so I can do the same!
View my complete profile

I'm a weather addict