You know you're old when...

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

  1. You're listening to your favorite songs on the radio, only to find out you're on the oldies station.  (Now, to be fair, it was a country station playing hits from the 80's and 90's.  But still.  Old.)
  2. You look at your wedding pictures and wonder, "What was I thinking?"
  3. The years fly by faster and faster, with no potential for slowing down.  Remember when we were kids and once school started, it seemed like an eternity until Christmas break?  Yeah, not any more.
  4. You fill out an electronic form and when it asks for your birth year, you have to scroll and scroll and scroll.  Not good.
  5. You, as well as all of your friends, are celebrating double-digit anniversaries.  How could this be since you're only 23?  I mean, did we all get married as tweens??  Mind boggling...
  6. Children that you babysat are getting married.
  7. Some of these same children that you once babysat, are now babysitting your children.

I'm not sure if all of this is coming about because I'm about to celebrate my 33rd birthday, or what.  I'm sure that's not it because I've had this "age anxiety" for years now.  See, in my mind, everything is frozen at about 8-10 years ago.  I'm still 25 (freaking out about being a QUARTER CENTURY OLD!), me and all of my friends are just now having babies, and my wedding pictures still look recent.

When I start to freak out about turning another year older, I try to remind myself of all of the blessings that have come with time.  If I was still 25, I wouldn't have the sweetest boy in the world.  Sure, I would have the cutest little girl on the planet, toddling around and speaking in complete sentences long before her time, but I also wouldn't have the most beautiful, intelligent girl looking back at me - at eye level.

If I was still 25, Joey and I would be a bit more careful, but we wouldn't have the security and stability that has come over time.  We would still have that fresh, newlywed spirit, but we wouldn't yet have the bumps along the road that have only proved that we'll never let go of each other.  We're more in love today than yesterday.

Looking back only helps me to realize that no matter what, I wouldn't change any of it.

Even Joey's bald head in our 2009 family photos.



9 comments:

Ashlynn said...

You guys look so great. I have age anxiety too and I'm almost 26. I see how fast Harper is growing and it freaks me out! I know that down the road we will have another baby and we are looking forward to that... then looking forward to watching them grow up!

You have a great attitude!

Stephanie said...

Number 4 totally made me laugh and is so true. In fact I was filling out a form the other day and remember thinking that I never used to have to scroll down to find my birth year, it used to be right there on the front page! I also totally relate to number 6. In fact one kid I babysat got married a year and a half before me!!! and I got married when I was 25 so not that old!

Lauren said...

Aw, I just loved this post!! :)

Kelly said...

You have a beautiful family! Loved this post.

Jenster said...

funny post. get back to me when you turn 40 and start to work out like a mad woman because you now think that your body will all of a sudden loose all elasticity that it ever had.... have a great birthday!!

Two Normal Moms said...

I can so relate to those!
#2 made me laugh, because that is EXACTLY my reaction!
And #4? I've got 10 years on you! I'm staring my 43rd in the face and not liking it one bit!

But I wouldn't trade the life experience and knowledge that comes with it for anything... :-)

Ally

Melissa said...

It really is so crazy how fast time goes by the older you get. I'll be 28 in 2 months and sometimes I swear I can't be a older than 20. There's no way!!

Mighty M said...

Those are so true! And what a fantastic family picture.

Virginia Belle said...

I love this post! As a newlywed, it is so refreshing to hear that marriage really can get better and stronger with time. You have such a great outlook and a incredibly beautiful family!

let's get acquainted

My Photo
THE Stephanie
I’m Stephanie - wife to one extremely handsome cop; mother to two extremely silly kids. The hubs and I have been married since February ’99. I love him more each day and simply can’t get enough of him. My daughter, Ashton, is 12 going on 17. She’s beautiful, creative, smart, and oh, so sassy. Taylor, our son, is 8 and is so much like his daddy it’s scary. He makes me laugh all the time with the silly things he says and does. He won’t remember what you told him 5 minutes from now, just like his daddy. I love to laugh and spend time with friends and family. I’ve also recently discovered a love for cooking and enjoy sharing recipes. I love finding new blog friends, so be sure to leave a comment so I can do the same!
View my complete profile

I'm a weather addict