I'm about to get controversial.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

You've been warned.

So I'm watching The Today Show yesterday morning while eating my breakfast and I see a teaser for an upcoming story. Evidently a female sports reporter was sexually harassed by some NY Jets players and coaches at a practice earlier this week.

My first reaction was, of course, to be irritated at these men who can't be professional and only think with their, well, you know.

Then they showed the sports reporter who was harassed and my opinion changed completely.

Take a look at the story:





Now, I have to hand it to her - she's obviously very accustomed to this type of a response from men in her line of work, because it really doesn't seem to phase her at all. She doesn't appear to be bothered by it and in fact, she states that had another female reporter not brought it to her attention (and the attention of the associations involved), she certainly wouldn't have.

It appears that other women were more angered by this situation that she was, and as one woman put it in this interview, it doesn't matter what she was wearing (skin tight pants or see-through lingerie), that's not a license to commit sexual harassment.

While I agree to some extent, part of me thinks this lady is nuts! Of course it matters! If you wear see-through lingerie and walk into an NFL locker room to conduct interviews, what do think is going to happen?  Do you honestly think they will all look you in the eye?

I believe, as women, we have to take some level of responsibility for the way we dress and the attention we draw. If I wear a shirt that is cut down to my belly button and my boobs are barely contained, I don't think that I can then be appalled by the comments and "cat calls" that I might receive from the men I may come in contact with.

If you want to be look at, thought of, and responded to as a professional, then you need to act the part.  And that doesn't include a shirt that's cut down to your belly button.

Just sayin'.

Disclaimer: Honestly, from watching the news story, this woman appears to be a nice person. I don't know her personally, obviously, and I have nothing against her.  Also, please note that we are not talking about rape here.  That's a whole other can of worms and that's not what this post is about.  Although the topics are related somewhat, in this post, I'm only talking about the way we dress vs. the reactions we receive.


6 comments:

Summer {Bisfor...} said...

i agree with you and totally get where you are coming from.

some people will say we are allowed to wear whatever we want but i know i cannot. i cannot wear things like that in my workplace...

x

Melissa said...

When you dress in a certain way you will attract a certain kind of attention. I think she knew that! Anyway, I agree with you!

scargosun said...

I get what you are saying. Verbal harassment is one thing, physical is another. Where is the line though? How much are we, as women, required to 'cover up' so that we are not the target of harassment? Honestly, we could be wearing burkas and still get some sort of verbal harassment.

Joey said...

the thing that pisses me off the most is the dumb crazy activist that said that a women can wear a see through lingerie into the locker room and shouldn't get comments... she's just mad cuz she's ugly and never got any attention from guys.

5th Belle Avenue said...

I agree with you! We definitely have a responsibility as women to not tip men off with such seductive clothing. We'll never fully understand it b/c our minds don't work like the minds of men! Thank goodness.

Jenny said...

I watched her interview the other day and thought the same thing! I even thought what she was wearing on the Today show was a little low cut.

let's get acquainted

My Photo
THE Stephanie
I’m Stephanie - wife to one extremely handsome cop; mother to two extremely silly kids. The hubs and I have been married since February ’99. I love him more each day and simply can’t get enough of him. My daughter, Ashton, is 12 going on 17. She’s beautiful, creative, smart, and oh, so sassy. Taylor, our son, is 8 and is so much like his daddy it’s scary. He makes me laugh all the time with the silly things he says and does. He won’t remember what you told him 5 minutes from now, just like his daddy. I love to laugh and spend time with friends and family. I’ve also recently discovered a love for cooking and enjoy sharing recipes. I love finding new blog friends, so be sure to leave a comment so I can do the same!
View my complete profile

I'm a weather addict