The night I tried to scrapbook

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Saturday evening, the kids and I headed out to my friend Kelly's house.  Both of our husbands were working, so we had big plans to eat and chill.

Years ago, when Kelly lived next door, both of our husbands worked evenings so most of the time we would cook dinner and eat together.  It was more fun than eating alone and it's a lot easier than cooking for one.  So, Saturday night, we relived the olden days.


We made Crunchy Onion Chicken and Skillet Potatoes and it was so good!

Then we took the kids to the pool.  It was fabulous.  The kids are now old enough to swim by themselves so Kelly and I just sat on the edge and chatted it up.

(You have to look closely, but that's Taylor and Larson, tossing a ball over the volleyball net.)

Earlier in the afternoon, Kelly texted me and said I should bring my scrapbooking stuff.  She is a scrapbooker extraordinaire, as evidenced by this picture:

(Also, she's trained her children well.  Any time they see a camera, they stop and pose, knowing it will eventually become scrapbook material.)

Now, what you should know about me is that I don't scrapbook, so when Kelly texted that, I just laughed.  And she knew it.  However, I used to scrapbook.  In fact, I'm the one who got Kelly into scrapbooking, but quite a while back I lost my zeal.  Then I started blogging and to me, this is my scrapbook.

But because I'm a good friend (LOL) I grabbed Taylor's baby book (which is very unfinished - and he just turned 7) and my wedding album (which is almost finished - I've been married for close to 12 years.  Steller, I know.)  I thought I could at least get her to help me finish my wedding album and make a bit of headway on poor Taylor's album.

This was a major FAIL.  Turns out I've lost misplaced all of Taylor's baby pictures and basically have no photographic evidence that he existed prior to 3 years ago.  It's quite a sad story.  Luckily my  mom, the scrapbook queen, thinks she has CDs of pictures that may prove Taylor wasn't dropped from the sky when I started this blog.  So for Saturday, the scrapbooking effort was futile.

Now, you may remember that the last time we went out to see Kelly and her family, I took her some cinnamon rolls.  She loved them so much that she bought her own Kitchenaid mixer and planned to break it in with a batch of cinnamon rolls on Saturday night.


Unfortunately, I ruined them.  We're not exactly sure what happened, but I think I killed the yeast (I didn't even know this was possible!) when I poured the milk/butter mixture in before it cooled enough.  The rolls wouldn't rise.  It was so sad, but we wanted them so bad that we cooked them anyway.  They weren't terrible, just a bit dense.  Now I'm determined to make another batch myself to prove that I've still got it. (Whatever it is.)

All in all, even though our scrapbooking and baking efforts were both pretty much failures, we still had a great time.  Now if I could just find those pics of Taylor and then convince Kelly to complete my scrapbook for me.



4 comments:

Melissa said...

I don't have the patience for scrapbooking but I sure wish I did! I guess the blog can kinda be a scrapbook/ journal.

The Shabby Princess said...

Haha, I can't scrapbook either! My mom was awesome at it--she was also a photographer, so.... My stepmom does scrapbooking, but, it's a pain in the butt because I'll ask her to email me a picture or something and her response will always be "oh, just wait and you'll see it in the scrapbook". That's nice, but, I want to frame it! I also suspect that she doesn't know how to email a picture.

blessedmomto8 said...

I'm too scared to attempt ANYTHING with yeast after a bad experience YEARS AGO when my rolls didn't rise! Looks like you guys had fun. I ONLY digitally scrapbook-MUCH easier!

LauraAnn said...

Haha! You crack me up! I was on a HUGE scrapbooking roll awhile back.....that quickly stopped. Sadly, I think I have made everyone in my family a scrapbook but have yet to make one for myself. Maybe someday I will fix that! lol

let's get acquainted

My Photo
THE Stephanie
I’m Stephanie - wife to one extremely handsome cop; mother to two extremely silly kids. The hubs and I have been married since February ’99. I love him more each day and simply can’t get enough of him. My daughter, Ashton, is 12 going on 17. She’s beautiful, creative, smart, and oh, so sassy. Taylor, our son, is 8 and is so much like his daddy it’s scary. He makes me laugh all the time with the silly things he says and does. He won’t remember what you told him 5 minutes from now, just like his daddy. I love to laugh and spend time with friends and family. I’ve also recently discovered a love for cooking and enjoy sharing recipes. I love finding new blog friends, so be sure to leave a comment so I can do the same!
View my complete profile

I'm a weather addict