Learning to deal.

Friday, July 2, 2010

Tomorrow, Joey will begin his 9th week of field training.  He's rotated through all of the shifts and I have to say, his current shift is my least favorite so far.

When he started, he worked 3 weeks of 6am to 2pm.  Although he had to get up at 4:30, which woke me up as well, I really enjoyed this shift.  He was usually home when I got home (barring the tons of overtime he got on this shift) and we could eat dinner together and spend time with each other in the evening.

For his next 3 weeks, he worked 10pm to 6am.  This was quite an adjustment for the two of us.  I had to get used to sleeping alone, but he had to get used to sleeping during the day.  This is not as easy as I assumed it would be.  By the end of the 3 weeks we had fallen into a nice groove.  Just in time for his shift to change.

He's currently working a new shift and I must say, I'm not a fan. Several years ago, Joey worked an evening job, and we all adjusted (well, that was before Taylor was born), so I'm sure we'll adjust again.  I just didn't think he would be on this shift.  The hardest part is that I was beginning to feel distant since we weren't seeing each other virtually at all.  I'm a girl who needs her sleep, so I usually go to bed around 9:30.  Even if I fall asleep, I wake up when Joey gets home and want to hear about his day, which keeps me up way past my normal bedtime.  Then I'm up at 5:45.

People, this is not enough sleep for me.

BUT, what I've come to realize over the last few days is that we have to learn to deal with the things we can't change.  We have to make the best of what we've been given, which for me, means that I'm choosing less sleep so I don't feel distant from the man I love more than life.  I choose to cook dinner every night, so that when he gets home, he has a home-cooked meal to eat (albeit, reheated).  I choose to not complain about what can't be changed and to love the life we're blessed with.  I choose to cherish the one-on-one time I have with the kids each night while Joey is working.

Above all, I choose to praise my God for "watching over our comings and goings, both now and forevermore." (Ps. 121:8)  God has directed us down this path, so while we're on it, I choose to trust Him.


12 comments:

Nicole said...

You have a beautiful family! I am glad you are able to see the positive in the midst of all these changes! Very inspiring =D

Stopping By From SITS!

California Wife said...

I'm sure that must be incredibly hard! Kudos to you for keeping a good attitude about it!

The LaJeunesse Family said...

Matt was just switched to the 4pm-midnight shift, which is the worst one for us. BUT I'm learning to find the positives in every shift. There ARE positives! Just gotta look a little bit harder on some shifts! :)

5th Belle Avenue said...

WOW what a great post. I admire your strength and positive attitude! You are an encouragement to me! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Grand Pooba said...

That's got to be so hard, but you've got a great attitude about! Joey is so lucky.

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

Night shifts are hard. I have worked lots. Great post!

Joey said...

you are the best, most supporting wife ever! you are right about one thing... God has never let us down. I love you more than life!

Melissa said...

You are such a supportive wife!

Jenster said...

great attitude my pretty friend. all happens for a reason. stay strong because only the strong win in the long run.

super sweet comment from your husband.....you two are wonderful together!!!!!!

Strawberryblush said...

I'm right with ya girly. Reading this post was like reading about my own life. Currently isaacs on swings and I work days- our days off are opposite and next month he switches to graves.

Like I said... Busy but blessed.

Meghan & Josh Reid said...

we are on the evening shift right now (3pm - 11pm) and it was so difficult adjusting, because you are right, we virtually NEVER see each other! it's hard. however, your attitude is so positive and inspiring about the whole situation! i wish i could be like that, and thank you for reminding me that i CAN be like that! i know we can't change anything and i need to make the best of every situation/shift.

Rachel said...

This was such a fantatic post and something I needed to be reminded about...you kinda get wrapped up for a moment and I am going to get better...and be in the moment! Hugs!

let's get acquainted

My Photo
THE Stephanie
I’m Stephanie - wife to one extremely handsome cop; mother to two extremely silly kids. The hubs and I have been married since February ’99. I love him more each day and simply can’t get enough of him. My daughter, Ashton, is 12 going on 17. She’s beautiful, creative, smart, and oh, so sassy. Taylor, our son, is 8 and is so much like his daddy it’s scary. He makes me laugh all the time with the silly things he says and does. He won’t remember what you told him 5 minutes from now, just like his daddy. I love to laugh and spend time with friends and family. I’ve also recently discovered a love for cooking and enjoy sharing recipes. I love finding new blog friends, so be sure to leave a comment so I can do the same!
View my complete profile

I'm a weather addict