Camping... in the back yard!

Thursday, July 29, 2010

*This is a repost from a couple years back.  I'm joining MamaKat today for Writer's Workshop.

Last Wednesday Joey had this great idea to camp out in the back yard with Taylor. I think Ashton heard about their plan and wanted in on the action so they decided to hatch this plan on Friday night before she left for camp on Saturday morning.

I made it VERY clear to my lovely family that I would be camping in the comfort of my king size tempurpedic knock-off bed with the A/C set at a comfortable 73 degrees and the fan on. I was more than happy to join them for s'mores, but my hubby is well aware that my idea of camping involves a hotel with the words "Resort and Spa" at the end.

So while I finished packing Ashton's things for camp, Joey and Taylor set-up the tent in the backyard...



... then took a quick Gatorade break. Don't forget, we are in the south Texas heat people!!



Once the tent was all set-up (but clearly, as Joey then told me, NOT big enough for 2-3 people!) it was time to build the camp fire. In my backyard.

This made the kids a little nervous, and me too, but I had already questioned Joey multiple times and he put my mind at ease by informing me that he was a boy scout when he was little.

Thank goodness!



The fire actually worked out well, but I will confess I had a water hose on standby.

Now it was time to roast marshmallows for s'mores. Ashton loves s'mores, but Taylor, as many of you know does not like chocolate. We think he's missing a chromosome or something...




A few weeks ago my cousins were in town and we met them at the Westin Resort at La Cantera and the kids had s'mores by the pool. This is Taylor explaining to me how those s'mores were much better than the one he's eating here... that I made him. God love him.



Ah, camping in the backyard. I told the kids goodnight and kissed Joey and came inside to clean up the kitchen. It wasn't 10 minutes until the back door opened and a sweaty little girl came in and went up to her nice soft bed to go to sleep.

About 20 minutes later, a cute little boy and his handsome dad followed.

It was a good idea, right?


7 comments:

Joey said...

lol, that was fun... i'm sure we were breaking multiple fire codes with that fire, especially since the other side of the fence is a big wooded area... haha good times

cheri said...

well, the idea was good. oh, and you did marry a handsome cop :)

from mama kat's :)

LauraAnn said...

Girl, you and I share the EXACT same philosophies when it comes to camping! If there is a spa then I am there......I guess you could say I am roughing it if they don't have a spa! lol

And you gotta love kids! They are so innocent and honest about everything! Looks like you guys had a great time overall!

Patience said...

What a cute idea. I am with you, no camping for me, eva!

theworkinghousewife said...

It was a good idea - in theory.. Haha.. I'm sure the kids enjoyed the evening, even if they climbed into their own beds at the end of the night! :)

p.s. Your family is gorgeous! :)

theworkinghousewife said...

It was a good idea - in theory.. Haha.. I'm sure the kids enjoyed the evening, even if they climbed into their own beds at the end of the night! :)

p.s. Your family is gorgeous! :)

Melva said...

Ahhh enjoyed your story. A fun night for all!

let's get acquainted

My Photo
THE Stephanie
I’m Stephanie - wife to one extremely handsome cop; mother to two extremely silly kids. The hubs and I have been married since February ’99. I love him more each day and simply can’t get enough of him. My daughter, Ashton, is 12 going on 17. She’s beautiful, creative, smart, and oh, so sassy. Taylor, our son, is 8 and is so much like his daddy it’s scary. He makes me laugh all the time with the silly things he says and does. He won’t remember what you told him 5 minutes from now, just like his daddy. I love to laugh and spend time with friends and family. I’ve also recently discovered a love for cooking and enjoy sharing recipes. I love finding new blog friends, so be sure to leave a comment so I can do the same!
View my complete profile

I'm a weather addict