Stephanie cooks: Cinnamon Rolls

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Last week I decided to put together a spreadsheet containing listings of main dishes, side dishes, appetizers, and desserts.  Then I used those items to put together menus for 4 weeks.  While I was making the spreadsheet, I was searching various sites for new recipes and compiling the recipes for dishes that I already had.

My life was changed when I found this recipe on Our Best Bites for cinnamon rolls.  No, they're not PW's cinnamon rolls.  Her recipe scares me.  Actually, any recipe that calls for yeast scares me, but I decided I would give it a try with this one.

Cinnamon Rolls
(Don't be intimidated by the length of the recipe.  It's really very simple!  I mean, if I can do it, ANYONE can do it!)

What you need:

Dough

  • 1 cup milk
  • 4 Tbs butter, cut into chunks
  • 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided (2 cups, 1 1/4 cup)
  • 1 (.25 ounce) package instant yeast (about 2 1/4 tsp)
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg

Filling
  • 1 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened

Icing
  • 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 2 tablespoons melted butter
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1-2 Tbs milk


How you make it:

Dough
  1. Place milk and 4 Tbs butter in a microwave safe bowl. Heat on high for 1 minute 30 seconds. Butter should be at least partially melted. Stir and set aside. 
  2. In a large mixing bowl whisk together 2 cups flour, yeast, white sugar, and salt. 
  3. When milk mixture has cooled to warm (not hot) add it to the flour mixture along with the egg while the beater (paddle attachment for those using a stand mixer) is running. Beat until well combined, about 1 minute.
  4. (Switch to the dough hook now) Add remaining flour only until dough barely leaves the sides of the bowl. It should be very soft and slightly sticky. Continue to let the dough knead for 5 minutes. (If you are not using a stand mixer, turn dough out onto floured surface and knead for 5 minutes by hand.) 
  5. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and let rest for about 10 minutes while you make the filling.

Filling
  1. Soften butter well. 
  2. Mix with brown sugar and cinnamon.

Assembly
  1. Roll dough into a rectangle about 12 x 14 inches. 
  2. Spread brown sugar mixture (it will be slightly thick, you might have to "crumble" it) over the surface and use your fingers or the back of a spoon to gently spread around. 
  3. Roll up from the longer side of the rectangle and pinch edges closed. 
  4. Cut the roll into desired number of pieces.
  5. Place in a 9 x 13 pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. 
  6. Cover pan with a clean towel and let rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes. (OBB suggests that you heat a small glass of water in the microwave until boiling.  Open the microwave, move the glass to the side [still in the oven], and place covered rolls in the microwave with the glass (oven OFF).  The heat will help the rolls to rise.)

Baking
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. When rolls have finished rising, bake for 15-20 minutes or until light golden brown. 
  3. Spread with icing while still warm. 
  4. Makes approx. 12 rolls.


Two words: YUM.MO.

Give it a try.  You won't be sorry.


4 comments:

LauraAnn said...

Those look AMAZING! I am now at work craving a yummy cinnamon roll. I will definitely be giving that recipe a try!

And of course they are fat free, right?! lol

California Wife said...

YUM, those look fantastic! We're in charge of breakfast for our 4th of July weekend getaway, so I might have to make these!

I love how you made an Excel sheet with recipes, that is sooo something I would do (and still might).

Virginia Belle said...

Oh man, they look absolutely amazing! Thanks so much for sharing, I can't wait to try them :)

Annie said...

thanks for sharing!!
i don't know if i'll be able to pull of making them though! i'm kind of lazy and the pillsbury ones in a can are quite tasty as well ;)

let's get acquainted

My Photo
THE Stephanie
I’m Stephanie - wife to one extremely handsome cop; mother to two extremely silly kids. The hubs and I have been married since February ’99. I love him more each day and simply can’t get enough of him. My daughter, Ashton, is 12 going on 17. She’s beautiful, creative, smart, and oh, so sassy. Taylor, our son, is 8 and is so much like his daddy it’s scary. He makes me laugh all the time with the silly things he says and does. He won’t remember what you told him 5 minutes from now, just like his daddy. I love to laugh and spend time with friends and family. I’ve also recently discovered a love for cooking and enjoy sharing recipes. I love finding new blog friends, so be sure to leave a comment so I can do the same!
View my complete profile

I'm a weather addict