My life was changed when I found this recipe on Our Best Bites for cinnamon rolls. No, they're not PW's cinnamon rolls. Her recipe scares me. Actually, any recipe that calls for yeast scares me, but I decided I would give it a try with this one.
(Don't be intimidated by the length of the recipe. It's really very simple! I mean, if I can do it, ANYONE can do it!)
What you need:
- 1 cup milk
- 4 Tbs butter, cut into chunks
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided (2 cups, 1 1/4 cup)
- 1 (.25 ounce) package instant yeast (about 2 1/4 tsp)
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1-2 Tbs milk
How you make it:
- Place milk and 4 Tbs butter in a microwave safe bowl. Heat on high for 1 minute 30 seconds. Butter should be at least partially melted. Stir and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together 2 cups flour, yeast, white sugar, and salt.
- When milk mixture has cooled to warm (not hot) add it to the flour mixture along with the egg while the beater (paddle attachment for those using a stand mixer) is running. Beat until well combined, about 1 minute.
- (Switch to the dough hook now) Add remaining flour only until dough barely leaves the sides of the bowl. It should be very soft and slightly sticky. Continue to let the dough knead for 5 minutes. (If you are not using a stand mixer, turn dough out onto floured surface and knead for 5 minutes by hand.)
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and let rest for about 10 minutes while you make the filling.
- Soften butter well.
- Mix with brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll dough into a rectangle about 12 x 14 inches.
- Spread brown sugar mixture (it will be slightly thick, you might have to "crumble" it) over the surface and use your fingers or the back of a spoon to gently spread around.
- Roll up from the longer side of the rectangle and pinch edges closed.
- Cut the roll into desired number of pieces.
- Place in a 9 x 13 pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Cover pan with a clean towel and let rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes. (OBB suggests that you heat a small glass of water in the microwave until boiling. Open the microwave, move the glass to the side [still in the oven], and place covered rolls in the microwave with the glass (oven OFF). The heat will help the rolls to rise.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- When rolls have finished rising, bake for 15-20 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Spread with icing while still warm.
- Makes approx. 12 rolls.
Two words: YUM.MO.
Give it a try. You won't be sorry.