Stephanie Cooks: Chocolate Mousse Crunch Cake

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Saturday evening we were invited to a cookout with several of the officers that graduated with Joey.  I offered to bring dessert because there was a recipe I had been dying to try.


Chocolate Mousse Crunch Cake
(Found on Our Best Bites)


Cake

What you need:
  • 1 package Duncan Hines Devil's Food Cake (prepared as directed)
  • 1 package crushed Heath bits

How you make it:
  1. Bake cake according to cake mix instructions in 2 8" round pans. Set aside and allow to cool. 
  2. When cake is cooled, use a serrated knife (or cake leveler) to carefully slice the dome-iest part of each cake layer off so the layers are level.


Mousse

What you need:  
  • 1 tsp. unflavored gelatin
  • 1 Tbsp. cold water
  • 2 Tbsp. boiling water (heat it in a small bowl in your microwave)
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 c. heavy whipping cream
  • 1 tsp. vanilla

How you make it:

  1. In a small bowl, combine gelatin and cold water and allow to stand for about 1 minute. 
  2. While gelatin is softening, bring 2 Tbsp. water to a boil in the microwave. 
  3. Whisk the boiling water into the softened gelatin and allow to cool slightly.
  4. In a medium mixing bowl, combine sugar, cocoa, 1 cup heavy whipping cream, and vanilla. 
  5. Beat with an electric mixer until medium-stiff peaks form. 
  6. Mix in gelatin mixture and refrigerate for 30 minutes.


Ganache

What you need:  
  • 8 oz semi-sweet chocoloate chips (by weight)
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream


How you make it:
  1. Combine chocolate and heavy cream in a microwave-safe bowl. 
  2. Heat for 2 minutes and stir. 
  3. Heat for an additional 1-2 minutes or until chocolate is fully melted and can be whisked and incorporated into the cream. The ganache will thicken as it cools. 


Assembly 

  1. Place one layer on the serving plate and spread about 1/2 of the chocolate mousse over the cake.
  2. Sprinkle with Heath bits.
  3. Place second layer on top of Heath bits.
  4. Spoon ganache over the top layer (if it's too thick, warm it up a bit), allowing it to drip down the sides.
  5. Sprinkle with additional Heath bits and refrigerate until ready to serve.




I was a bit nervous taking a cake to a cookout that I had never tasted, but I figured presentation is half the battle, and it looks fabulous, right?

Well, turns out it tastes better than it looks.  It was so delicious!!

PS - Stay tuned early next week for a giveaway that will help you make this yummy cake!  And no, it's not that Kitchenaid mixer.  That's my MIL's.  SHHHHHHHH!  Don't tell her I still have it.


13 comments:

Sweet Simplicity said...

You are so cute! I need a cake leveler. Yours look so perfect.

The LaJeunesse Family said...

oh my word that looks amazing!

Grand Pooba said...

If it's anything like your Dr. Pepper cake, I will love it! You are such a Betty!

Aly @ Analyze This said...

Oooooo that looks AMAZING!!!

And I noticed a comment up there about a Dr. P cake...where can I get that recipe!?

Tiffany said...

That looks so yummy! I can't wait to try it when I leave my carb desert :)

Melissa said...

Oh, I'm making this for sure!! Yum!!

Isabelle said...

I'm so proud!!!! I spoted the mixer right away lol.

Your face on the first pic with the finished product is priceless!!!

Lindsay said...

holy yum! looks delicious!

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

mmm, looks so good!

Naturally Caffeinated Family said...

mmm mmm that looks and sounds good! you look so cute! p.s. I always try new recipes when people are coming over or we're going somewhere and then I get nervous it's not going to work out :-)!

Liz said...

This looks so delicious, and you are just gorgeous!!! :)

LauraAnn said...

Holy chocolatey goodness!!! That cake looks delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Mira said...

hey. thanks for sharing... i wish the cake could come out of the picture... !! it looks so delicious.
And happy anniversary..

let's get acquainted

My Photo
THE Stephanie
I’m Stephanie - wife to one extremely handsome cop; mother to two extremely silly kids. The hubs and I have been married since February ’99. I love him more each day and simply can’t get enough of him. My daughter, Ashton, is 12 going on 17. She’s beautiful, creative, smart, and oh, so sassy. Taylor, our son, is 8 and is so much like his daddy it’s scary. He makes me laugh all the time with the silly things he says and does. He won’t remember what you told him 5 minutes from now, just like his daddy. I love to laugh and spend time with friends and family. I’ve also recently discovered a love for cooking and enjoy sharing recipes. I love finding new blog friends, so be sure to leave a comment so I can do the same!
View my complete profile

I'm a weather addict