Hair woes

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Lately I've been having some trouble with my hair.  It started about 4 months ago when I noticed that one section in my bang was really rough.  And by really rough, I mean, it looked totally fried.

I panicked, called my stylist and begged for help.  We chatted, she recommended a Bumble & Bumble product that she had on order, and also suggested I try this:

I ordered it immediately on Amazon.com and began using it as soon as it arrived.  I think it helped a little, but it smelled like bad men's cologne.  And I mean bad!

I kept babying my hair - turned down the heat on my hair dryer and flat iron and tried to be very careful with that section of hair - but that didn't seem to help either.  At my next hair appointment, she trimmed that section up a bit and I got the original product she had recommended:
With this product, you add it to your dry, styled hair and it dries almost immediately.

Ok girls, I'm totally freaking out because nothing seems to be helping!  I have always had very healthy hair, but I do color it and dry it everyday.  My hair is not the type that can just air dry and actually be presentable.  I have to style it every day.

Then I came across Summer's post about her hair miracle so I had to run out and buy this:



Last night I added it to my hair and wrapped my head in seran wrap (for 2 hours) since I didn't have a shower cap.  Yes, it was comical and yes, my children looked at me like I was an alien.  I didn't care because I'm vein like that and freaking out about my hair.

I have to say this made my hair extremely soft, but it did not miraculously fix my fried bang.

Seriously.  What is going on?  My hair has never done this!  I'm trying to avoid cutting my bangs, but I'm starting to think I won't have a choice.  I'm just not sure that cutting them will really fix the problem.

Have any of you seen this before?  Any more great ideas?  I'm game for pretty much anything that doesn't involve me shaving my head.




10 comments:

Carri said...

If I learned anything in cosmetology school it was tha damaged hair can not be fixed. Yes there are solutions to making it look beter but never a permanent fix and on top of that, if you dont cut it off it is sure to continue to happen to the new growth. I hope you and your stylist (who sounds amazing for trying to help with all the product she knows aout before just chopping it off) can figure out a fix that will stop it from continuing to happen.

Brandy said...

I hope you put heat protection on your hair before you dry and style. =)

I like Burt's Bees Avocado Butter Pre-Shampoo Hair Treatment.

Amy Lynn said...

Do you think it's damaged or is it possible that your hair texture is changing for some reason?? I love Moroccan oil... but it does smell odd.

Jenster said...

oh my gosh....steph...i have had this same exact problem since december. i noticed some ends looked so fried and felt fried too. i kept pulling my hair forward so i could see the ends and some even were in an "L" shape...weird. other looked like i had taken a ultra mini crimper to them. I thought it was because my hair got damaged from highlighting but this was so odd too. i have highlighted my hair since i can remember. i thought it may also be from the flat iron too, that i was actually burning my hair. I am so afraid now to highlight or apply any heat to my hair.

My hairdresser said it would have to be cut out....but i'm letting it grow out....dang.

i have no solution here. it does feel as if for some odd strange reason my hair's texture has changed.

any way, i am going to just embrace my brown hair and deal with the craziness. i pull it back a lot...as you can see from photos.

Sarah from 20somethingcupcakes said...

I can't believe you don't like the way Moroccan Oil smells! You're the first person I've heard say that. I love it, and I LOVE the products. I dedicated a whole post to it! I'm sorry about your little problem, thought - have you tried a mayonnaise mask? Probably won't be any better than the coconut oil, but worth a try. Sounds like a cut is the only way to go. xxSAS

skaptain said...

My best advice would be to obviously stop flat ironing and applying heat to your bangs. Pin them up or do something to them. I couldn't believe you kept flat ironing them (turning down the heat won't do anything). I suppose you'll have to deal with the consequences. P.S. I've heard Garnier Fructis Leave-in conditioning creme works wonders!

CushyBaby said...

I have heard of Moroccan Oil being a miracle hair product, although I've never used it. I have done so much to my hair, it's a wonder it hasn't fallen out. Blonde to brown back to blonde then brown again...lol. I don't know what kind of shampoo you use but I swear by Dove Damage Therapy Shampoo and conditioner. It has done wonders for my hair and it doesn't break the bank. I always DRENCH my hair in the condidioner then I wash, shave, etc and then wait to rinse that out last before I get out. Hope that helps!!

LauraAnn said...

I always use Redken Anti-Snap product in my hair. You apply it after you shower. It works for me and I style my hair 98% of the time. Hope you find a solution so you don't have to cut your hair!!! Good luck!!!!

Mighty M said...

If you find the magic fix let me know - I just got bangs and this might come in handy someday!

Nishant said...

Your blog is lovely..
PPC Advertising India

let's get acquainted

My Photo
THE Stephanie
I’m Stephanie - wife to one extremely handsome cop; mother to two extremely silly kids. The hubs and I have been married since February ’99. I love him more each day and simply can’t get enough of him. My daughter, Ashton, is 12 going on 17. She’s beautiful, creative, smart, and oh, so sassy. Taylor, our son, is 8 and is so much like his daddy it’s scary. He makes me laugh all the time with the silly things he says and does. He won’t remember what you told him 5 minutes from now, just like his daddy. I love to laugh and spend time with friends and family. I’ve also recently discovered a love for cooking and enjoy sharing recipes. I love finding new blog friends, so be sure to leave a comment so I can do the same!
View my complete profile

I'm a weather addict