ready or not

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Two weeks from today, my husband will have a badge and gun. I'm so excited, but I feel like everything is in limbo. It's weird.

Yesterday was picture day at the academy so they dressed in their "real" uniforms (versus the cadet uniform), were issued their badges (which they later had to turn back in), and got to wear their actual guns (which, again, had to be turned back in). Joey sent pics from his phone and can I just say, "holy mother of hotness!" My husband is gonna be a cop!

Once he graduates, he'll spend the next 9 weeks rotating between the 3 different shifts with a Field Training Officer. Then he'll have a "final review" of sorts for 2 weeks (I believe) and then he'll be on his own.

SCARY! (but exciting!) Words can not express how proud I am of him. He has worked so hard to accomplish this dream. I'm just so very proud to be his wife.

So why do I feel like everything is in limbo? Because I just have no idea where the cards will fall (what shift he'll get, what station, etc.). I'm struggling to arrange summer childcare because I don't want to pay for something if Joey will be home (i.e. if he's working nights). I usually have everything planned by now and it's a little scary knowing that it's not arranged. I know that everything will work out fine. I also know that I have the world's best mother-in-law (who helps watch the kids in the summer since she's a teacher and has the summer off, too) who will jump in and help, but I don't want to overload her. Know what I mean?

It's just such a major life change. One that we've been waiting for, but now that it's here, I'm not sure what to do. LOL.

Ah... change. Gotta love it.



11 comments:

Brandy said...

That is SO exciting! I'm super happy for your family.

Mrs. Bear said...

What great news! It always sucks when you can't make your plans and set them in stone b/c of something in your life - but just know that everything will work out in the end!

Jenny.Lee said...

Very exciting!

Jennifer said...

I can't believe the day is almost here. It seems like it has just flown by! I know the whole shift thing is scary and it IS something to get used to. But that's just it, you DO get used to it and you find the positives in all three shifts! I know everything is going to work out perfectly. So proud of him for accomplishing his dream!

Melissa said...

Wow, seems like it's gotten here so fast! I know you're kinda nervous about the whole thing, I would be too! But, you'll get used to whatever shift he is given and make it work. I have 2 best friends whose husbands are cops and it's definitely different but they make it work!!

Mighty M said...

I can remember when my brother in law was working with a trainer and learning the ropes - trying to memorize all the streets and where they go...now HE is the one training the newbies.

Not sure how it works, but it SEEMS like the rookies get stuck with the swing and night shifts until they get some seniority built up. Maybe (hopefully) you will get lucky.

California Wife said...

Wow, that is so exciting!

Iva said...

how exciting!!! Congratulations!! I am sure its a tricky spot for you though too! Just think positively! :) Everything will be ok!!

Jenster said...

i have a friend who's husband is a cop and has been since the 90's and he currently works the "dog" shift. i'm not sure how the shift things works. i wish ya'll all the best and you know in your heart it will all be fine and work out. God has his plan and when it all comes to fruition regarding joey and the kids, you will be able to sit down and breath out and relax.

Kelsey @ Seattle Smith's said...

I can't believe it's almost time for it to be really official with badge and all! It has flown by!

Liz said...

Enjoyed reading your blog. So exciting to see your husband become a policeman! I bet your boys just love that! I found you on SITS. I'll definitely be back to read more.

let's get acquainted

My Photo
THE Stephanie
I’m Stephanie - wife to one extremely handsome cop; mother to two extremely silly kids. The hubs and I have been married since February ’99. I love him more each day and simply can’t get enough of him. My daughter, Ashton, is 12 going on 17. She’s beautiful, creative, smart, and oh, so sassy. Taylor, our son, is 8 and is so much like his daddy it’s scary. He makes me laugh all the time with the silly things he says and does. He won’t remember what you told him 5 minutes from now, just like his daddy. I love to laugh and spend time with friends and family. I’ve also recently discovered a love for cooking and enjoy sharing recipes. I love finding new blog friends, so be sure to leave a comment so I can do the same!
View my complete profile

I'm a weather addict