breakin' the law

Friday, April 23, 2010

I'm usually not that controversial over here on the blog, but today I may step on some toes. I did this once before, but it's been awhile, so here goes...

Last night while watching the local news, they aired a story about potential legislation in Arizona that caused a walk-out by "legions" of high-school and college students.  This legislation (Senate Bill 1070) would make it a crime to be in the US illegally.

Ok, I'm gonna let you read that last sentence again, in case you didn't get it.

"... a crime to be in the country illegally."  Isn't that redundantly redundant?  Isn't anything that's illegal a crime?  I'm sorry, but I don't get the uproar.  Well, I take that back.  The linked article above states that it was "legions of Latinos" who staged this walk-out, so I get why the Latinos are upset.

But, really?  Why on earth should anyone be allowed to come to the US illegally with no penalty?  Why don't they just come legally and avoid the issue altogether?  Why should I, as a tax payer, be forced to pay for them while they pay nothing?  No taxes at all!!  How is that right?

Here's my thought: If you don't like the laws of this country, go somewhere else.  Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against any race, ethnicity, or person in general.  I just don't get why you come to the US illegally and then complain that you might get arrested.

It's ILLEGAL!!  That's why!!


10 comments:

Adorably Distracted... said...

Agree! Just do it the legal way and it would make much more sense!

Joey said...

Izzy might get mad at you... lol

you forgot to mention the details about how if you can't prove your are in this country legally when you get pulled over by a cop, you will get arrested. that's it. what else can they expect? we have a whole department of the government that combats this and thy are called Home Land Security and not to mention BORDER PATROL! haha

California Wife said...

Couldn't agree more, well said!!

scargosun said...

While I do agree with the fact that proper channels must be followed. Do you want to pay double for that meal at the restaurant or how about triple for that apple or wine or anything else that is picked by possibly undocumented workers. You worry about your tax dollars going to pay for health care of illegal aliens but what about the cost you will pay for just about everything in the food industry and other labor intensive jobs? Think about it.

Carri said...

I completely agree. If I do something illegal I get in trouble why should someone else not have the same thing happen. Seems fair enough that when illegal things are done you get in trouble just like the rest of us. It is easy enough to do things the legal way, may take a bit more time but oh well that is life.

Marc Andre said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Isabelle said...

No worried Joey I'm not mad at Steph!

I do agree, If I'm not allowed to live in Texas without having to marry an older chubby bald man that Steph found for me on the River than nobody should lol

There is a reason why there are rules and laws and I think they should apply to everyone.

To Scargosun I'm not sure of how things work in the States but here we do have programs for workers from Mexico and other center and south American countries to come work for a season in the fields with benefits and all and they then go back home having made enough money to provide for their family for the year without the cost of manual labors going up for the agriculture sector.

Hutch said...

Here from (flash) and i couldn't agree more! I hate the idea of people struggling in other countries, but I also don't like my money going to pay for those who don't come here legally. There needs to be a better solution!

Shannon E. Kennedy said...

OUCH!!! damn, that hurt...you stepped right on my F@#$&ing toe!!!

no worries...but, time for my 2 cents.

illegally would also include people who's visa's have expired. There are many hardworking people here, many of them are doing elderly care privately and their visa's have expired. I know someone who works for a friend of a friend - she sends all her money home to her family. if she goes back to her country she will not be able to support her 2 children. She works here, and is an amazing working - she provides love and compassion round the clock. she never complains, she never asks for anything. everything she does she does for her children because she wants them to have a better life.

so...to me, its not so black and white.

Alex said...

Look at this http://bit.ly/cYE3Ue give you reasons it will step on toes. It's ok now for you and me, we are citizens but we come from immigrants.

let's get acquainted

My Photo
THE Stephanie
I’m Stephanie - wife to one extremely handsome cop; mother to two extremely silly kids. The hubs and I have been married since February ’99. I love him more each day and simply can’t get enough of him. My daughter, Ashton, is 12 going on 17. She’s beautiful, creative, smart, and oh, so sassy. Taylor, our son, is 8 and is so much like his daddy it’s scary. He makes me laugh all the time with the silly things he says and does. He won’t remember what you told him 5 minutes from now, just like his daddy. I love to laugh and spend time with friends and family. I’ve also recently discovered a love for cooking and enjoy sharing recipes. I love finding new blog friends, so be sure to leave a comment so I can do the same!
View my complete profile

I'm a weather addict