stephanie cooks: creamy chicken taquitos

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

* Joey update: First of all, I'd like to thank all of you for your comments and thoughts yesterday.  Joey did great.  He survived.  It's over.  And that's what matters.  Unfortunately, he has big 'ole shiner just in time for our little anniversary get-away, but it's okay.  I'll take that over any broken bones or torn muscles that would have taken him out of the academy any day!

Last night I made the best dinner!  I found the recipe from one of my favorite recipe sites, Here's What's Cooking. Nothing fancy, but man was it yummy!!  So let's get to it, shall we?

Creamy Chicken Taquitos

What you need:

  • 4 oz. cream cheese (1/2 block)
  • 1/4 c. green salsa
  • juice from 1/2 lime
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp. cumin
  • 1/2 tsp. onion powder
  • 1 tsp. chili powder
  • 1 bushel cilantro, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons sliced green onions (I didn't have this, so I omitted)
  • 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
  • 1 c. grated cheese, your choice
  • approx. 12-14 corn tortillas
  • Cooking spray
  • Kosher salt


How you make it:

  1. Heat oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly coat with cooking spray.
  2. Place cream cheese in mixing bowl and heat in the microwave for 20 seconds to soften.
  3. Add all ingredients (except tortillas, cooking spray, and salt - DUH!) to cream cheese and mix well.
  4. Wrap several tortillas in damp paper towels and heat in the microwave for 20-30 seconds until they are soft enough to roll without cracking.
  5. Place a heaping spoonful of chicken mixture in a tortilla and roll the tortilla up as tight as you can. When the tortillas are soft, the mixture sticks to the tortilla, making it very easy to roll up. Place seam side down on baking sheet. Lay all of the taquitos on the baking sheet, making sure they are not touching each other. 
  6. Spray the tops with cooking spray and then sprinkle salt on top.
  7. Place in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until crisp and the ends start to get brown.

 


And just because I never posted anything from our Valentine's weekend, here's something for your tummy's viewing pleasure:






4 comments:

Mrs. Bear said...

Mmmm those taquitos sound divine.

Annie said...

i'm glad to hear everything went okay and all he walked away with is a black eye.

the taquitos look and sound so yummy!! the guac looks delicious as well! ;)

have a great day hun!!

Naturally Caffeinated Family said...

ooh I'm going to have to make these too! so glad that Joey is ok!! (minus the black eye:()

Sweet Simplicity said...

These sound yummy! Ty would love them.

let's get acquainted

My Photo
THE Stephanie
I’m Stephanie - wife to one extremely handsome cop; mother to two extremely silly kids. The hubs and I have been married since February ’99. I love him more each day and simply can’t get enough of him. My daughter, Ashton, is 12 going on 17. She’s beautiful, creative, smart, and oh, so sassy. Taylor, our son, is 8 and is so much like his daddy it’s scary. He makes me laugh all the time with the silly things he says and does. He won’t remember what you told him 5 minutes from now, just like his daddy. I love to laugh and spend time with friends and family. I’ve also recently discovered a love for cooking and enjoy sharing recipes. I love finding new blog friends, so be sure to leave a comment so I can do the same!
View my complete profile

I'm a weather addict