life is fragile, but God is good

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Yesterday I spent the afternoon at the hospital with my mother-in-law and her dad, Pepaw.  Joey's grandma, Memaw has been in the hospital almost a week with an obstruction in her bowel.

Here she is a few years back.  Isn't she beautiful?


Joey and I took the kids up to see her on Sunday night, and I'm so glad we did, because things went downhill Monday.  Yesterday morning they did another x-ray and found a tear on her bowel and decided that the surgery they had been putting off was now imminent.  She was so weak and frail, but there was no other way.

Pepaw call me around 11 am and said they would be doing surgery at 12:30.  He couldn't reach Kathy (my MIL) because she was teaching and Joey was at the Academy and can't take calls.  (A little background - my MIL is an only child and so is Joey.)  I reached Kathy via email and she rushed to the hospital.  I called my MIL around noon when I left for lunch.  She said I didn't need to come, but I knew I had to be there.  I prayed the entire time to the hospital - I prayed that God would protect Memaw and spare her life and I prayed that God would keep me strong.  The last thing Kathy and Pepaw needed was me falling apart.

When I got there, Kathy told me that they weren't assured that Memaw would make it through surgery.  I was heartbroken.  Heartbroken for Kathy - that was her mom.  And heartbroken for Pepaw - the love of his life was just wheeled into surgery.  It was the worst feeling ever.  All we could do was pray.

I left to go get lunch for both of them and prayed the entire the time.  Three and a half hours later, when the surgeon came out to talk to us, would you like to know what he said?  That tear that was on her bowel?  Not there.  He was shocked.  He took a double take at the x-ray and sure enough, there it was, but it was no where on Memaw.

Praise be to God!!

They still had to remove a significant portion of her intestine and she'll have a colostomy for the rest of her life, but for now, we have her.  And that's what matters.  She's not out of the woods yet, but I've already seen what my God can do, I'm not about to start doubting Him now.


10 comments:

Mrs. Bear said...

Aw your memaw is in my prayers!!!

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

Your family is in my prayers.

Miss Anne said...

Praise be to God about the healed tear!

I am praying for a quick recovery for everyone.

xo

Patience said...

Praying for your family.

Sweet Simplicity said...

What a miracle! I hope she continues to gain strength.

Aubrey said...

Is God good? I love when he works medical miracles. It just reminds us (and the doctors) that He is God and He can do anything.

Mighty M said...

I am so glad!

Summer said...

Oh my gosh!!! I love how God works. Amazing!!!

I'll continue to pray for her, because OBVIOUSLY prayer works.

=)

Grand Pooba said...

What great news! And your right. At least you have her, that's all that matters.

Naturally Caffeinated Family said...

wow, what wonderful news! saying a prayer for her right now!

let's get acquainted

My Photo
THE Stephanie
I’m Stephanie - wife to one extremely handsome cop; mother to two extremely silly kids. The hubs and I have been married since February ’99. I love him more each day and simply can’t get enough of him. My daughter, Ashton, is 12 going on 17. She’s beautiful, creative, smart, and oh, so sassy. Taylor, our son, is 8 and is so much like his daddy it’s scary. He makes me laugh all the time with the silly things he says and does. He won’t remember what you told him 5 minutes from now, just like his daddy. I love to laugh and spend time with friends and family. I’ve also recently discovered a love for cooking and enjoy sharing recipes. I love finding new blog friends, so be sure to leave a comment so I can do the same!
View my complete profile

I'm a weather addict