Merry FREAKIN' Christmas!

Monday, December 7, 2009

That's exactly what I was thinking on Friday night as I was standing in the kitchen listening to my children scream at each other.  They were arguing about who would get to lay on which couch, who would get which blanket, which movie they would watch, and on and on and on.

In fact, I even told Joey that maybe I should cancel our Christmas card order and reorder with that headline.  "Merry FREAKIN' Christmas!"  Doesn't it seem like that sometimes?  I mean, all the pretty lights on the tree, the stockings hanging on the bar, the garland over the TV, but none of the Christmas spirit was seeping into my sweet children.

I know it happens to all of us, and believe it or not, most of the time, the kids are walking around the house singing Christmas carols (this morning, it was "Frosty the Snowman"), but this year, I'm determined to make things just a little different.

LOVE JESUS.

This year, I'm determined to help my family remember exactly why we celebrate Christmas.  It's not about the gifts, the lights, and the parties.  It's about the birth of our Savior.  That is why we celebrate.  Sure, the gifts are fun and I love the lights, but that's not what Christmas is about.

SPEND LESS.

This year, I'm also determined not to spend so much money on needless gifts for people who already have more than they could ever want or need.  When Joey and I finished up our shopping on Saturday evening and I realized that everyone's gift had been purchased and we'd spent less than $200, I can't tell you the satisfaction I felt.  (Ok, that doesn't include mine & Joey's gift exchange, but other than that, it does include the kids and close to 10 other people!  YAY!)  I'm not doing this simply for the sake of being cheap, but rather so we can focus less on us and more on others who have less.

GIVE MORE.

Our church has been teaching the Advent Conspiracy for the last month or so.  I can't tell you how hard this has hit me.  The core of the "conspiracy" is to get back to the true meaning of Christmas (Love Jesus) by focusing less on the material things during the season (Spend Less) so you have more to give away to those in need (Give More).  This seriously touches a deep place in my heart and I'm determined to make a difference.  I don't want to get to the end of my life and look back only to realize that the world is no different than it was the day I was born. I want to leave a mark.

Want to join me?  Love Jesus. Spend Less. Give More.


5 comments:

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

I feel that way sometimes too. We are going to be spending less as well this year.

mama's smitten said...

I would love to join you! Great post ! My husband will especially appreciate the spend less part!

Brandy said...

Great post Steph!! Love those thoughts. =)

Isabelle said...

My sisters are making my niece and nephews give one of their toys to less fortunate children and a few years back we decided to spend 50% lesson gifts and we give the difference to a charity each year!

You're so right about what Christmas is all about!

Grand Pooba said...

Still trying to figure out how to spend less and give more at the same time!

let's get acquainted

My Photo
THE Stephanie
I’m Stephanie - wife to one extremely handsome cop; mother to two extremely silly kids. The hubs and I have been married since February ’99. I love him more each day and simply can’t get enough of him. My daughter, Ashton, is 12 going on 17. She’s beautiful, creative, smart, and oh, so sassy. Taylor, our son, is 8 and is so much like his daddy it’s scary. He makes me laugh all the time with the silly things he says and does. He won’t remember what you told him 5 minutes from now, just like his daddy. I love to laugh and spend time with friends and family. I’ve also recently discovered a love for cooking and enjoy sharing recipes. I love finding new blog friends, so be sure to leave a comment so I can do the same!
View my complete profile

I'm a weather addict