I'm not a fan of criminals

Monday, November 30, 2009

This morning I turned on The Today Show and heard about four police officers who were murdered in a coffee shop in a small town outside of Seattle.

They weren't on duty.  They weren't responding to a call.  They weren't caught in the cross-fire of a shootout. They were simply enjoying a cup of coffee, reviewing reports before their shift began when "reportedly", Maurice Clemmons entered the shop, walked to the counter and then turned around and executed two of the officers.  Then he killed one more before the last officer was able to get to him, wrestled him to the ground and they believe get off a couple shots before he was then killed as well.

Clemmons then fled the scene and is now holed up in a Seattle house, surrounded by police.  Police are unsure if he is dead or alive.

Unfortunately, none of this should have happened at all.  Clemmons, who had a long criminal history - including raping a child and assault on a police officer - should be in prison serving a 95 year sentence (I believe), but nearly a decade ago, former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee commuted his sentence.


As a future police officers wife, I have no words.  Only prayers.




9 comments:

Amber said...

That is so sad to hear. I know people make mistakes but how can someone release someone back into society that has such a record?

On a brighter note, I love your layout! So adorable!

.:: b e k k a h ::. said...

it is a sad story! i actually thought about you this morning when i heard it. Amber's right your layout is supercute :]

Isabelle said...

I know your scared and you're right praying is the only answer. That's another thing going on my post-it!

Oh and I'm with Amber I love your new layout!

Mighty M said...

Yes, this was terrible and when I read about Clemmons' past I could not believe he was allowed to be free. This happened very close to home and it's just awful.

Melissa said...

He obviously never should have been released back. Something is not right with that man. Your new layout is super cute too!! I love all the cute headers/ labels!!

Megan said...

Surprised to hear about Huckabee letting him off..that's crazy. What a terrible world we live in.

(and I feel bad about being giddy after reading your post--but your pictures to the left are great!!)

Grand Pooba said...

Oh my god! That is tragic, that's all I can say.

Lindsay said...

My mother in law is good friends with the owner of the coffee shop they were killed in, he is a retired police officer so cops hang out there a lot. This makes 5 officers killed here in the last month. Its so sad. :( You're right, there are now words.

Aubrey said...

Some days the world makes no sense. We just have to trust and pray.

let's get acquainted

My Photo
THE Stephanie
I’m Stephanie - wife to one extremely handsome cop; mother to two extremely silly kids. The hubs and I have been married since February ’99. I love him more each day and simply can’t get enough of him. My daughter, Ashton, is 12 going on 17. She’s beautiful, creative, smart, and oh, so sassy. Taylor, our son, is 8 and is so much like his daddy it’s scary. He makes me laugh all the time with the silly things he says and does. He won’t remember what you told him 5 minutes from now, just like his daddy. I love to laugh and spend time with friends and family. I’ve also recently discovered a love for cooking and enjoy sharing recipes. I love finding new blog friends, so be sure to leave a comment so I can do the same!
View my complete profile

I'm a weather addict