Stephanie cooks: Cheesy Chicken 'n Broccoli

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Ever since Joey started the Academy, it's been more difficult for me to continue with my normal routine.  Joey is not allowed to wear his uniform out in public, so he can't pick the kids up after school (although he's usually finished at the Academy in time anyway) so I had been trying to leave work, get to the gym, get the kids before the after-school program closed, and get home to cook dinner.

Last week, I broke down in tears one night because I just couldn't get dinner ready.  It's silly, I know, but Joey has such hard days at the Academy, and most days he doesn't even have a lunch break - he just has to eat what he's packed throughout the day on his scattered 10 minute breaks - so it's very important to me that I have a hot meal for him when he gets home.  It was clear to me that something had to give.

I'm not sure how I will squeeze everything in, but I know that I need to not be so hard on myself.  I have to choose my priorities and then be ok with that.

Because of this, I was also very excited when a long-time family friend contacted me several weeks ago.  She's truly one of the best homemakers I know - and certainly the best cook I know - and she was finally ready to start her own cooking blog.  (Several of her friends have been begging her for months to do this!)  My partner and I got to work on designing her site and she's almost ready to release it, but I thought now would be a good time to give you all a sneak peek.  What I'm so excited about - and I know you will be to! - is that she's planning on posting menus once a week!  Not just main courses, either, but recipes for main courses, side dishes, salads - the entire meal!

I don't know about you ladies, but so often I can come up with a main course but I completely draw a blank on the side dishes and end up serving my family the same 'ole things.  Well, my dear friend is here to help!  And her recipes will be easy to make, YUMMY, and with no obscure ingredients.  So click on over to her site, GRAB HER BUTTON, and leave her some bloggy love.  And don't forget to follow her blog and check back - she should have some menus up soon!




Now, onto a quick, easy recipe that I made last week...

Cheesy Chicken 'n Broccoli Simmer


(Picture from Kraft.com)

What you need:

  • 4 small boneless skinless chicken breast halves (1 lb.)
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/4 lb. (4 oz.) VELVEETA Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
  • 4 cups frozen broccoli florets
  • 1/4 cup KRAFT Grated Parmesan Cheese, divided


How to make it:

  1. Heat a large nonstick skillet on medium-high heat. Add chicken; cover skillet. 
  2. Cook 5 to 7 min. on each side or until chicken is done (165ºF). 
  3. Remove chicken from skillet; keep warm.
  4. Add milk, Velveeta, broccoli and 2 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese to skillet. 
  5. Cook uncovered on medium heat 4 min. or until Velveeta is melted and broccoli is heated through, stirring occasionally.
  6. Return chicken to skillet. Cook and stir 1 min. or until chicken is coated and heated through. 
  7. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.



11 comments:

Christina said...

Hey Steph! You're turning into such a great homemaker! Here's a link to the EASIEST crockpot recipe you will ever make:
http://www.delish.com/recipefinder/slow-cooker-sweet-sour-country-ribs-recipe
You put the pork ribs (found them in several packs of 2...kind of look like pork chops) in the crockpot with the sauce for 10 hrs and they FALL off the bone. You guys would love them! It literally took me 5 min to throw it together in the morning.

rootsandrings said...

You should do some freezer meals. These are life savers.

Go check out my blog today... you got a little bloggy award! :)

Lindsey said...

Sounds yummy, I love me some broccoli and cheese! Thanks for sharing friend!

Adorably Distracted... said...

this sounds so good and so easy to make!! I can't wait to try it!

Sweet Simplicity said...

I love cooking blogs!

Jenster said...

Ahhh Steph, welcome to my world. I only have one child but I know first hand how hard it is to be the who takes care of EVERYTHING. With working 40 hours a week, not only is it extremely difficult to find time for yourself but let alone exercise, cook, clean, take care of the house, do all the laundry, mow the lawn, pay all the bills and keep your child #1 for your attention with home work and just being there. I am blessed to actually have time to train for the marathon. I too have my days of tears.....many of them. So, thank you for Carolyn's new blog. I will be checking this out daily for her ideas for meals.
Have a wonderful day.

Mighty M said...

Just about everything my daughter WILL eat. Perfect!

Naturally Caffeinated Family said...

yummy!! i will definitely check your friend's new blog out too! =)

Carri said...

The recipe you posted sounds amazing and simple to make. I will definitely be making it one day. I will also check out your friends blog I love the concept. Good luck figuring out how to manage everything. My husband works nights and it is hard to run constantly with the kids but it is managable. Some days will be hard but other's will be so easy you will wonder why you ever stressed. You will get into your routine, just take time it will all fall into place.

Grand Pooba said...

Mmmm, thanks Steph!

What are you, Betty Crocker now?

Melissa said...

Oh my!!! I just found your blog! I'm a huge Cowboys fan and this is hands down the cutest blog EVER!!! I love you already!!

let's get acquainted

My Photo
THE Stephanie
I’m Stephanie - wife to one extremely handsome cop; mother to two extremely silly kids. The hubs and I have been married since February ’99. I love him more each day and simply can’t get enough of him. My daughter, Ashton, is 12 going on 17. She’s beautiful, creative, smart, and oh, so sassy. Taylor, our son, is 8 and is so much like his daddy it’s scary. He makes me laugh all the time with the silly things he says and does. He won’t remember what you told him 5 minutes from now, just like his daddy. I love to laugh and spend time with friends and family. I’ve also recently discovered a love for cooking and enjoy sharing recipes. I love finding new blog friends, so be sure to leave a comment so I can do the same!
View my complete profile

I'm a weather addict