Let's talk pigskin

Monday, October 26, 2009

It's no secret that I love NFL football.  The Cowboys are my team, but I watch every game that's on.  And I'm starting to get irritated.

First of all, let's discuss the new "hit on a defenseless receiver" penalty.  Because my issues are many, we'll go with the bulleted format:
  • Um, defenseless?  Isn't there an entire team of players on the field?
  • Isn't it the job of the receiver to pretty much be out in the open (as far as the rest of his team is concerned) so he can catch the ball?
  • What exactly is the opposite of a defenseless receiver?  Can someone give me an example? How does this receiver become un-defenseless?
  • Don't those receivers get paid millions of dollars to catch balls and then either run with them or hold-the-heck on to them as they get pummeled to the ground?
  • Hey receivers, if you can't stand the heat, get outta the kitchen.

Second, let's talk about "roughing the passer."  Since when did quarterbacks become so important that you now can't play football around them?  They are on the team, right?  They do want to play, right?  They do get paid millions of dollars to play this game that they so love, right?

Now I certainly don't want anyone to get hurt, but when a defensive players' sole purpose on the roster is to sack the quarterback, how can you expect him to stop and think, mid-tackle, about where he's going to come in contact with the quarterback?  This is ridiculous!!  This is grown-up professional football, not peewee football!

The NFL sees it like this: "If a defender dives at a quarterback's legs or makes any sort of contact with his head, he likely will suffer the consequences of a 15-yard penalty for roughing the passer and/or a possible fine."  This is absurd!

Lastly, I can't help but bring up the "helmet-to-helmet" penalty.  Again, I certainly don't want anyone to get hurt, but HELLO!!  This is professional football!  When these guys are tackling, they're not worrying about where their helmet might hit in the process.  They're just tackling!

Last Sunday, a Ravens player was penalized (and later fined) for a helmet-to-helmet hit on a Bengals' receiver.  The receiver lost his helmet in the hit, but immediately jumped to his feet and continued on.  After the game was over, this receiver used his Twitter account to ask the NFL Commissioner not to fine the Ravens player, saying, "it was a clean hit, it's part of the game." 

See?  Even the players think these rules are absurd.  Before you know it, watching NFL football will be more like watching the Nutcracker than a professional football game.



5 comments:

Melissa said...

I agree! I hope the NFL doesn't turn out like Nascar with so many rules it's boring to watch! BTW, I'm a HUGE Cowboys fan!!

Annie said...

thank you SO much for the super sweet comment on my blog!!
i am following you, have been and just realized that you don't show up on my reader :( i don't get why!!

i wish i had some football/NFL comment for ya but i know nothing about football except that i live in MN and brett farve now plays for the vikings and pretty much everyone dislikes our team now....or something like that, haha.

Jo Ann said...

You are definately your father's daughter. How you became such a sports fan I'll never know- where is my little shopper during the game girl???? Ugh!

Kelsey @ Seattle Smith's said...

Your dad or husband taught you well!!!! hahah you tell em'!

Tara Gibson said...

Love this post girl! PREACH IT!

ps you have to check my blog and see sadie's halloween costume ; )

let's get acquainted

My Photo
THE Stephanie
I’m Stephanie - wife to one extremely handsome cop; mother to two extremely silly kids. The hubs and I have been married since February ’99. I love him more each day and simply can’t get enough of him. My daughter, Ashton, is 12 going on 17. She’s beautiful, creative, smart, and oh, so sassy. Taylor, our son, is 8 and is so much like his daddy it’s scary. He makes me laugh all the time with the silly things he says and does. He won’t remember what you told him 5 minutes from now, just like his daddy. I love to laugh and spend time with friends and family. I’ve also recently discovered a love for cooking and enjoy sharing recipes. I love finding new blog friends, so be sure to leave a comment so I can do the same!
View my complete profile

I'm a weather addict