I'm about to step on some toes.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Before I start, let me just make sure everyone is aware that I am NOT, I repeat NOT, racist in any shape, form, or fashion.  I'm married to an Hispanic man (although, admittedly, you'd never know by looking at him) and have friends of many different races.

Now, on to my post, on my blog, with my opinion...

Last night I was watching Monday Night Football with my (Hispanic) husband and the NFL had dedicated the evening to Hispanics in honor of Hispanic Heritage Month.  Before the game began President Obama gave a brief speech about Hispanics, their heritage, and... (honestly, I don't know what else, I tuned him out).  Then there was Enrique Iglesias singing the National Anthem.  And to top it off, after the game had begun, when the first penalty flag was thrown, the referee announced the penalty in Spanish.

(If you think you'll be offended, this is where you should stop reading.)

I'm sorry, but are we in America?  Like I said, I'm not racist, I'm married to a Hispanic man, but even my Hispanic husband was irritated beyond belief!

Here's the deal: We do live in America.  And in America we have what's called the Declaration of Independence.  And that Declaration of Independence states that all men (humans) are created EQUAL.  So please tell me why we spend so much time magnifying our differences?  What is the purpose for a month of "Hispanic Heritage"?  Or "Black History"?  I'm not saying that it's not pertinent to our history as Americans, but it is just that - HISTORY.  And we all learn about it in history.

And there is no "white history month".  And I didn't have the opportunity for an "all-white scholarship" when I went to college.  That would have been racist, right?

I just don't think you can have both.  It seems that people want equality, but they also want special treatment as well.  They still want their special scholarships, month-long "histories", etc., yet they want equality.

How can we be equal - like I believe we are, like we should be, like America was created to be - if we keep drawing lines?


7 comments:

Melissa said...

You're right! Everyone talks about being equals yet, we spend entirely too much time making a huge deal of our differences.

rootsandrings said...

If this was Facebook I'd click the "like" button! :) Agree!

Amber said...

I agree completely!!

Jenster said...

Good gosh Steph....I have complained about this same issue since I can remember. I completely agree with this post/blog. I have a hope that one day we will all pro-create with mixed nationalities/races, therefore, the race/nationality/heritage month/college/church issues will be done with. AMEN to you.

Polka Dots & Protein Bars said...

So so so so true. I wish I had something more eloquent to insert here, but I just couldn't agree more. Thank you for posting about this.

In this wonderful life... said...

well said!!

I don't think I've told you this but I'm loving your cowboys layout! every time I get on I think gosh, so cute!!

Tara Gibson said...

well said! I agree!!!

let's get acquainted

My Photo
THE Stephanie
I’m Stephanie - wife to one extremely handsome cop; mother to two extremely silly kids. The hubs and I have been married since February ’99. I love him more each day and simply can’t get enough of him. My daughter, Ashton, is 12 going on 17. She’s beautiful, creative, smart, and oh, so sassy. Taylor, our son, is 8 and is so much like his daddy it’s scary. He makes me laugh all the time with the silly things he says and does. He won’t remember what you told him 5 minutes from now, just like his daddy. I love to laugh and spend time with friends and family. I’ve also recently discovered a love for cooking and enjoy sharing recipes. I love finding new blog friends, so be sure to leave a comment so I can do the same!
View my complete profile

I'm a weather addict