The God of This City

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Wednesday morning I turned on the news and learned about Somer Thompson, the 7 year old Florida girl who vanished on her less-than-a-mile walk home from school earlier this week.  I saw her mom on The Today Show pleading for anyone who might have seen her to call the Sheriff's office.  She just wanted her baby girl back.

Since I had just said goodbye to my two children as they walked up the street to the bus stop, this was especially hard for me to watch.

Thursday morning, when I turned on The Today Show, I heard something that no parent ever wants to hear: they had found Somer's tiny body in a landfill.  As I watched Somer's mom on TV, the tears began to run down my own face, thinking about my own children... waiting at the bus stop.

What is wrong with this world?  Our children aren't even safe at school.  They can't walk to school. They can't even play in their own neighborhood.

On my way home from work I was listening to some of my favorite worship music and "God of This City" by Chris Tomlin came on.  Take a listen...





I'm so thankful, yet again, that God gently reminds me that He is in control.  Even in the midst of horrific circumstances that we can't comprehend, He is God.  I choose not to live in fear, because my God has not given me a spirit of fear, but of power! (2 Tim 1:7)

God, I thank You that You have overcome the world and that we don't have to live in fear.  I lift up the Thompson family and ask that You would surround them with Your peace - peace that passes all understanding.  Help them to know that You love them, even in the midst of this tragedy.


4 comments:

Naturally Caffeinated Family said...

it is so hard. i think similar things all the time when i look at our little ones (and i cry at other stories too). great reminder that God is always in control, that should ease our mind! we love this song, our old church used to sing it all the time, i get chills every time i hear it, ok and teary-eyed=) (and a great reminder too that we need to do more for His kingdom=)). brings a smile back to remember that God is in control.

Carri said...

How sad. Here in NY I would never aloow my children to walk to the bus stop 2 buildings away. It saddens me that I cant but things like this story remind me why.

rootsandrings said...

That's awful. I'm reading John Piper's book "Don't Waste Your Life" and he talks about how there are risks everywhere, whether you take precautions or not. NOT to say that we shouldn't be careful, but to say that we shouldn't shelter ourselves "just incase"... we still need to live.

LOVE that song. Chris is my fave! Used to go to his church in Austin when I was in college and, wow. Powerful church!

Jenster said...

this is a great post steph!

let's get acquainted

My Photo
THE Stephanie
I’m Stephanie - wife to one extremely handsome cop; mother to two extremely silly kids. The hubs and I have been married since February ’99. I love him more each day and simply can’t get enough of him. My daughter, Ashton, is 12 going on 17. She’s beautiful, creative, smart, and oh, so sassy. Taylor, our son, is 8 and is so much like his daddy it’s scary. He makes me laugh all the time with the silly things he says and does. He won’t remember what you told him 5 minutes from now, just like his daddy. I love to laugh and spend time with friends and family. I’ve also recently discovered a love for cooking and enjoy sharing recipes. I love finding new blog friends, so be sure to leave a comment so I can do the same!
View my complete profile

I'm a weather addict