Epic fail. And Stephanie cooks: Italian Chicken

Thursday, October 15, 2009

My week has not been the greatest.  There has been no one particular thing that has made it the worst week ever - and granted it, it's not been the worst week ever - but it's like the week is out to get me.

I went to grocery store on Sunday like I usually do and picked up what I thought would get us through the week.  Monday I had the day off and when I went to make dinner, I realized that I didn't have quite enough chicken, but I figured I could make do.  When Joey was scraping the bottom of the dish looking for protein, I realized I could not make do.

Tuesday, Joey left the Academy earlier that usual and offered to make dinner since I had a horrible headache.  I set out all the ingredients for spaghetti, but found that I only had half a bag of noodles.  I figured it would be enough since I don't eat many noodles and the kids don't eat much period, but again, I was wrong.

Last night, since I couldn't think of anything else to cook, I decided on breakfast for dinner.  I was planning on making homemade waffles, but we had nothing else to eat with it, so I ran into Walgreen's and grabbed some bacon on my way to pick up the kids.  They were super excited when I told them what we were having, but then they asked if I bought any more syrup because we only had a tiny bit, and then that "nasty sugar free stuff that you and dad eat".  (Are you seeing a pattern here?)  So I went home, sent the kids to finish their homework and play, and what did I do?  I mixed the sugar-filled syrup and sugar-free syrup and the kids were none the wiser.  Thank you very much!  Score one for mom.

Then later on last night I was gonna get to cleaning the house because my friend Izzy is coming from Canada to visit this weekend (cue squealing!), but when I went to get the scrub brush to clean the shower upstairs (since it's only inhabited by people under 9 years of age), it was gone!  (It must have walked off with our maid, whom I miss dearly, obviously!!)  That was all I could take, so I thought

I was about to burst into to tears from every little thing that had gone wrong this week, but I didn't figure my husband needed a crying woman on his hands, so instead, I plopped down on the couch and decided to just watch some TV.  I turned on last weeks DVR'd episode of Mercy, but it wouldn't play for more than 5 seconds without pausing.  Really?  I figured that was my cue to just put my jammies on and call it a night, but Taylor was watching Star Wars in my bed.  I'm hoping today will be better, but if not, I know tomorrow will, because that's when Izzy gets here!

WOO HOO!!!

Now, onto that Italian Chicken!  Yum-mo!!

What you need:

  • 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, fat trimmed off
  • 2 large potatoes, peeled, diced into 1" squares
  • 1 can french style green beans
  • 1 can whole kernel corn
  • 1 package Italian dressing seasoning (like to make Italian salad dressing from scratch)
  • 1/2 butter, melted

How to make it:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Cut chicken into strips and place in the bottom of a 9x13 glass baking dish.
  3. Cover chicken with diced potatoes, green beans, and corn.
  4. Mix Italian seasoning with melted butter and pour over top of the chicken, potatoes, beans, and corn.
  5. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour.




7 comments:

Lindsey said...

Love Italian chicken!!

Polka Dots & Protein Bars said...

Aww, Steph, I'm sorry! I hate weeks like those. I hope time with your sweet friend will make it all worth while, though!

Isabelle said...

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I'm so excited can you tell????

I'm sorry you had a rought week! I promise one trip to Target, your tummy full of queso and you'll forget all about it!

Grand Pooba said...

Yep, sounds like Izzy is going to show you a good time!

Thanks for the recipe!

Sweet Simplicity said...

I'm sure your weekend will be much better! Yay for friends visiting!

Mighty M said...

I hate weeks like that. Hope you are back on track soon! ;-)

Rachel said...

Stopping on over here since I haven't seen you on facebook. Hope your weekend is better than your week...enjoy the time with your friend and fam.

dish looks good too!

let's get acquainted

My Photo
THE Stephanie
I’m Stephanie - wife to one extremely handsome cop; mother to two extremely silly kids. The hubs and I have been married since February ’99. I love him more each day and simply can’t get enough of him. My daughter, Ashton, is 12 going on 17. She’s beautiful, creative, smart, and oh, so sassy. Taylor, our son, is 8 and is so much like his daddy it’s scary. He makes me laugh all the time with the silly things he says and does. He won’t remember what you told him 5 minutes from now, just like his daddy. I love to laugh and spend time with friends and family. I’ve also recently discovered a love for cooking and enjoy sharing recipes. I love finding new blog friends, so be sure to leave a comment so I can do the same!
View my complete profile

I'm a weather addict