Stephanie cooks: Slow-Cooker Lasagna

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

I'm thinking of turning over a new leaf.

Cooking. (don't laugh)

It's no secret that I'm not the best cook, but lately I've found some recipes that I've actually made and the family has enjoyed. It's a miracle, yes, but hey, I'll take what I can get.

Yesterday I tried a recipe that I found on Kraft online. Here's the 411...

Slow-Cooker Lasagna

What you need:
  • 1 lb. ground turkey (recipe calls for beef, but we always use turkey)
  • 1 jar (26 oz.) spaghetti sauce (Next time, I'll use more sauce. It was a tad dry.)
  • 1 cup water
  • 15 oz. ricotta cheese
  • 2 cups mozzarella cheese
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 egg
  • 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley (I didn't have fresh, so I used dried.)
  • 6 lasagna noodles, uncooked
Make it:
  1. Brown meat in large skillet. Drain.
  2. Stir in spaghetti sauce and water. Simmer.
  3. Mix ricotta, 1-1/2 cups mozzarella, 2 tbsp. Parmesan, egg, and parsley in a bowl.
  4. Spoon 1/3 of meat sauce into bottom of slow-cooker.
  5. Layer noodles (broken to fit), cheese mixture, then meat. Repeat.
  6. Cover with lid and cook on LOW 4 to 6 hours, or until liquid is absorbed. (Mine only took 4 hours, so don't over cook.)
  7. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses (however much mozzarella and Parmesan you like) and let stand, covered, until cheese is melted.


Amazingly enough, my family loved it (it was really good, and super easy!). I put it in the slow-cooker before we left for Sea World for the afternoon. When we got home - hot, tired, and HUNGRY! - it was ready. That's my kind of dinner!

PS - if any of you have fabulous, EASY recipes you want to share with me, I'll be glad to try them! :)

Hope you all had a wonderful Labor Day and enjoy your short week! Woo hoo!



16 comments:

Annie said...

it looks delicious and very easy to make! i love the kraft site!
there is a great cheesy beefy pot pie recipe on the kraft site that would be good with ground turkey. love it!! assuming your kiddos like veggies! ;)

Christina said...

I'm totally trying this. Steve will thank you for it. :-) Sometimes the Kraft recipes are hit or miss for me. But since you liked it I'm gonna go for it!

Jennifer said...

Sounds delish! I'm printing this out (along with the 15 other ones I printed off Yahoo today) and am definitely going to try it out. I'll try anything with less than 10 steps!

Jennifer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sweet Simplicity said...

I love slow cooker recipes! Thanks!

Grand Pooba said...

I love cooking in the crock pot! Nothin better then dumping a whole bunch of stuff and coming back later to a dinner!

Thanks for the recipe!

Sunshinemeg said...

Sounds delicious! Wish that was cooking right now. Have a great week.

Mighty M said...

Sounds great - I have been looking for a new crock pot recipe. And I LOVE your blog design!! ;-)

Little Lovables said...

wow, that sounds really good! something even maybe I can do and not mess up

Polka Dots & Protein Bars said...

YUMMM!

And how have I failed to mention my love of your new background?

Tiffany Crawford said...

Yummy...and I have those same dishes...how funny!

skinnyrunner said...

im gonna try this recipe, i love slow cooker meals, so easy. and i love the football blog makeover!

skinnyrunner said...

im gonna try this recipe, i love slow cooker meals, so easy. and i love the football blog makeover!

Heather said...

This looks super yummy!! I am going to be trying it very soon!! Thanks!

Joey said...

it was good :) great job baby, I'm gonna turn you into a housewife yet!

Christina said...

So I made it today & we ate it for dinner tonight & it was yummy! I added a little extra sauce like you said and it was ready within 4 hrs. Thanks!

let's get acquainted

My Photo
THE Stephanie
I’m Stephanie - wife to one extremely handsome cop; mother to two extremely silly kids. The hubs and I have been married since February ’99. I love him more each day and simply can’t get enough of him. My daughter, Ashton, is 12 going on 17. She’s beautiful, creative, smart, and oh, so sassy. Taylor, our son, is 8 and is so much like his daddy it’s scary. He makes me laugh all the time with the silly things he says and does. He won’t remember what you told him 5 minutes from now, just like his daddy. I love to laugh and spend time with friends and family. I’ve also recently discovered a love for cooking and enjoy sharing recipes. I love finding new blog friends, so be sure to leave a comment so I can do the same!
View my complete profile

I'm a weather addict