Stephanie cooks: Chicken Enchiladas & Spanish Rice

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Last Sunday evening, I pulled out one of my favorite recipes and cooked dinner. (Are you guys freaking out yet with all this cooking I'm doing? My family sure is!) This is so good right out of the oven, but also really good as leftovers for lunch the rest of the week.

I'm a sucker for Mexican food - I could eat it all day everyday - so if I can cook it for dinner, as well as take it in my lunch for the rest of the week.... mmmmm, that's my kind of dinner!

Chicken Enchiladas

What you need:

  • 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts (if they're small, use 4)
  • 1 8 oz. package of cream cheese
  • 8-10 tortillas
  • 1 can Old El Paso Green Chile Enchilada Sauce
  • 1/4 cup Rotel
  • Knorr Chicken Bouillon
  • Shredded cheddar cheese

How to make it:

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Trim fat from chicken breasts and boil until cooked through. Add chicken bouillon to boiling water to flavor the chicken. (Just toss some in... maybe 1/2 T? I don't measure, I just sprinkle.)
  3. When chicken is cooked, remove from water and cut into bit-sized pieces.
  4. Cube cream cheese and melt in large skillet over low/med heat.
  5. Add the cut chicken, Rotel and liquid (less if you don't like it too spicy, more to add a little kick), a couple spoonfuls of the enchilada sauce to the cream cheeses and stir to create a creamy mixture.
  6. Fill tortillas with mixture, add shredded cheese, roll and line them in a greased glass baking dish.
  7. Once all mixture has been used, pour remaining enchilada sauce over the top of the enchiladas and cover with shredded cheese.
  8. Bake until cheese is melted and bubbly (approx. 15-20 min.).

Spanish Rice

What you need:

  • 1/4 white onion, sliced into small strips
  • 1 cup instant white rice
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/4 cup Rotel
  • 1 Tbsp. Knorr Chicken Bouillon
  • 1 tsp. chili powder
  • cooking oil

How you make it:

  1. In large skillet, add a dash of oil, onion, and rice. Saute over medium heat until onion and rice begin to turn brown. (Don't burn it!)
  2. Add water, rotel, chicken bouillon, and chili powder.
  3. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
  4. Reduce heat to low and simmer 20-30 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed.

And here's your dinner. YUM-MY!


For more great recipes, check out Tasty Tuesday!

9 comments:

Jennifer said...

Girl you know I printed this one off too. :)

Sweet Simplicity said...

I will be using this soon. It doesn't sound nearly as fattening as my other enchilada recipes. They all contain a lot of sour cream, cream of chk. soup, velveeta, etc.

Lindsey said...

YUM!! Thanks for sharing, I am gonna have Garth make these, ha!=) Love the new background!!

Isabelle said...

I want some! It looks so good!

Joey said...

I gotta admit babe, you have become quite the little housewife cook lately! And... it even taste good ;)

High Heels and Huntin' Boots said...

Those recipes sound yummy! I just saved a copy so I can make them soon! I found your blog from over at Sweet Simplicity. Way cute!

Staci said...

ur so domesticated.

rootsandrings said...

That looks delicious. I'm a fan of anything "cream" in enchiladas... sour cream, cream cheese... I'm sure I'd even like whipped cream. Or not. Maybe after my enchiladas...

Naturally Caffeinated Family said...

mmmm I can't wait to make these=) we love us some yummy mexican food too!

let's get acquainted

My Photo
THE Stephanie
I’m Stephanie - wife to one extremely handsome cop; mother to two extremely silly kids. The hubs and I have been married since February ’99. I love him more each day and simply can’t get enough of him. My daughter, Ashton, is 12 going on 17. She’s beautiful, creative, smart, and oh, so sassy. Taylor, our son, is 8 and is so much like his daddy it’s scary. He makes me laugh all the time with the silly things he says and does. He won’t remember what you told him 5 minutes from now, just like his daddy. I love to laugh and spend time with friends and family. I’ve also recently discovered a love for cooking and enjoy sharing recipes. I love finding new blog friends, so be sure to leave a comment so I can do the same!
View my complete profile

I'm a weather addict