Movie Etiquette 101

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

This weekend Joey and I went to the movie, as we often do. We walked into a sparsely occupied theater and chose our seats right in the middle.

As the theater began to fill up, 4 people walked into our row, with the 4th person sitting right.next.to.me.

I turned and gave Joey the look, and he just smiled.

Why were these people not able to leave the mandatory 1 seat space between people you don't know at the theater? Were they unaware of movie etiquette? There were at least 5 seats to my right - more than enough to leave the mandatory 1 seat buffer.

Joey kept telling me that we could move down 1 seat, but I didn't want to be rude. I kept saying I would move when the lights went down, but the theater was slowing filling up.

So I made my move to the other side of Joey. Ahhh... personal space.

Then another couple came and sat right.next.to.me. It was hard for Joey to control his laughter.

I resigned myself to the lack of personal space and settled in to watching a good movie. Then it happened. The stink of bad breath wafting right into my nostrils.

UGH!!

I asked Joey if he smelled it, and he didn't, which led him to believe it was him. Which it wasn't.

It took every bit of restraint I had to keep from politely offering a piece of gum to the guy sitting next to me - and the people behind me. Surely these people had friends to tell them to stuff it with gum! Why were these friends intent on making my movie experience hideous?

I guess, as Joey said, now I have something to blog about.

So there you have it. Movie Etiquette 101. Don't say you didn't know.


9 comments:

dislocated GA peach said...

not to sound completely rude or snobby but I HATE it when someone SITS RIGHT NEXT TO ME at the movies. i start wiggling around and i have a total nervous breakdown sometimes. same thing goes for people who stand too close to me.

Tara Gibson said...

omg i LOOOOVE your new blog desgin!!!

Joey said...

yeah, and nobody wants to hear your stupid conversation, so shut your mouth! (not you, the people sitting behind and down from us)

jen + ryan said...

that would drive me insane!!! that's almost as bad as someone who sits in the seat right in front of you so you can't put your feet up!!!

rootsandrings said...

Ew ew ew! This is why I hate going to the movies. I'm not going to spend $9 per ticket to sit in nasty seat with cell phones going off and people whispering and all that. No thank you.

Mighty M said...

Ha ha! I also HATE listening to popcorn crunching! But c'mon, I can't believe they sat right next to you, that defies ALL the unspoken rules!!

Grand Pooba said...

Oh my gosh, same thing happened to me! Except the person who sat right next to me had the worst BO!!!

angie said...

Who does that? Not me. :)

Naturally Caffeinated Family said...

oh no they didn't! i would love to know what those people were thinking, these are the perfect seats, right here=)! I can just see Hubby cracking up, especially when the second couple sat down!

let's get acquainted

My Photo
THE Stephanie
I’m Stephanie - wife to one extremely handsome cop; mother to two extremely silly kids. The hubs and I have been married since February ’99. I love him more each day and simply can’t get enough of him. My daughter, Ashton, is 12 going on 17. She’s beautiful, creative, smart, and oh, so sassy. Taylor, our son, is 8 and is so much like his daddy it’s scary. He makes me laugh all the time with the silly things he says and does. He won’t remember what you told him 5 minutes from now, just like his daddy. I love to laugh and spend time with friends and family. I’ve also recently discovered a love for cooking and enjoy sharing recipes. I love finding new blog friends, so be sure to leave a comment so I can do the same!
View my complete profile

I'm a weather addict