The moment you've all been waiting for...

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Last week, if you remember, I cooked. And no one died.

But before that, I had cooked something else that we hadn't yet eaten. It was a special something that was waiting for my dad and my Mama (his mom) to come for dinner on Friday.

It was special because it's called a Dr. Pepper Cake. And anyone who knows my family knows that we're a Dr. Pepper family. Of course, all of us (except my Mama) drink Diet DP now, but when I found this recipe, I had to make it before Mama headed back to Amarillo.

So here it is, in all it's glory.

And let me tell you, it is the yummiest cake I have ever put in my mouth. Seriously.

And here's my Mama and my baby girl. Or my teenager. Sometimes I get confused.

And my mom and dad, enjoying some yummy cake.

And me. Embarrassing, yes. But I'm telling you, once you make this cake, you will also make this face.

So you want the recipe? Of course you do!

Now I won't lie, I got his recipe here, so if you make it, be sure to give her props!

Here you go, the fabulous, worth every dimple on your thighs (altered slightly) ...

Dr. Pepper Cake
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 cup Dr. Pepper soft drink
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • pinch salt
  • 4 tablespoons cocoa
  • 2 beaten eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Melt butter.
  3. Add the Dr. Pepper and stir well.
  4. Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
  5. Add the eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla.
  6. Pour the Dr. Pepper mixture over the rest of the ingredients in the mixing bowl and mix well.
  7. Bake at 350 degrees in a greased 9x12 inch pan for 30-35 minutes.
Dr. Pepper Frosting
  • 1/4 cup Dr. Pepper soft drink
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 3 tablespoons cocoa
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions:
  1. Heat Dr. Pepper, cocoa, and butter, but don't bring to a hard boil.
  2. Stir in remaining ingredients and mix well.
  3. Spread Dr. Pepper frosting while cake is still hot.


10 comments:

Grand Pooba said...

When you said Dr. Pepper cake, I thought it was one of those diet cakes that only calls for a diet soft drink instead of the oil and eggs. I was sad. But nope! It's a lovely fat full recipe, the kind that I love!

I have never heard of a dr. pepper cake, and by the look on your face I can tell it really is worth any dimples it may cause me!

Thanks!

Tara Gibson said...

love the pic of you eating it! sounds sooo yummy!

Isabelle said...

Why are there only nuts on 1 side? It looks so yummy!!! I died when I saw the first ingredient! I'm so proud of you

Mighty M said...

Looks sooooooooo good!

Sweet Simplicity said...

I have made something similar with coke before, but I like DP more so I will have to use this one! We always make cakes, brownies, etc with half nuts and the other half without. I do not like nuts in my desserts.

dislocated GA peach said...

oh yummy! and i dont even like dr. pepper i have to try this out.

skinnyrunner said...

im caressing the computer screen right now pretending to dip my fingers in that frosting.
we have an unhealthy obsession with dt dr pepper in our household. it started with dt coke and moved on to a full addiction with the drp...

Lindsey said...

Great job!!! It looks yummy!

Grand Pooba said...

This cake is cooling on my stove as I type! Can't wait to eat it!

Thanks for the recipe!

The Shabby Princess said...

Holy YUM! We're a DP family too--I may have to give this a try!

let's get acquainted

My Photo
THE Stephanie
I’m Stephanie - wife to one extremely handsome cop; mother to two extremely silly kids. The hubs and I have been married since February ’99. I love him more each day and simply can’t get enough of him. My daughter, Ashton, is 12 going on 17. She’s beautiful, creative, smart, and oh, so sassy. Taylor, our son, is 8 and is so much like his daddy it’s scary. He makes me laugh all the time with the silly things he says and does. He won’t remember what you told him 5 minutes from now, just like his daddy. I love to laugh and spend time with friends and family. I’ve also recently discovered a love for cooking and enjoy sharing recipes. I love finding new blog friends, so be sure to leave a comment so I can do the same!
View my complete profile

I'm a weather addict