Stephanie cooks. People smile. Nobody dies.

Friday, August 28, 2009

It's no secret that I don't cook.

It's also no secret that when I attempt to cook, sometimes the smoke alarms have been known to go off. So when I text Joey on his way home from the gym that I've made dinner and he replies with, "should I finish my protein shake?", as a general rule I'm not offended.

Last night, however, I made Big Mama's Meatball Sandwiches, so I texted him back and told him to step away from the protein shake and get home as quickly as possible because even the kids were liking these!

Just call me Betty Crocker.

(Here's the recipe as I made it. I altered it only slightly to use ingredients that I had on hand. For Big Mama's comedic version, click on link above.)

Big Mama's Meatball Sandwiches

What you need:

  • 1 pound ground turkey (Big Mama uses beef, but we only use turkey in our house. That's how we roll.)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup parmesan flavored bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp. onion powder
  • 1 jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce (I used Ragu Margarita flavored. YUM!)
  • 1 package of french bread sandwich rolls
  • Sliced mozzarella cheese
  • butter

    How you make it:

    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    2. In a large bowl, mix together the (raw) ground turkey with the next 7 ingredients (just like you would if you were making meatloaf).
    3. Roll into meatballs approximately 3 inches or so in diameter and place on a cookie sheet. (Mine made 10 meatballs.)
    4. Bake for about 20 minutes.
    5. Turn them and cook another five minutes.
    6. Pour sauce into large pot on the stove. Add meatballs.
    7. Let simmer for about 15 minutes.
    8. While sauce and meatballs are simmering, place the sandwich rolls open and face up on a cookie sheet.
    9. Spread each one with plenty of butter.
    10. Broil them in the oven until they are slightly (SLIGHTLY) brown and then pull them out.
    11. Cover them with as many mozzarella cheese slices as you feel are appropriate.
    12. Place them back in the oven and broil them until the cheese is melted.
    13. Slice the meatballs in half and place on the sandwich. (You’ll use about 2 meatballs per sandwich.)
    14. Pour a little bit of the sauce over the meatballs.

    I have never had a meatball sandwich before in my life, my kids are maybe the pickiest eaters in the world, and my hubby is not fond of 99% of anything I make (and for good reason - see sentences 1 and 2 of post), but this was a hit. You should definitely try it.

    And I bet you thought I was done. HA! Nope. I actually cooked again. If you follow me on Twitter you already know about this, but since we haven't actually eaten this yet, you'll have to wait to hear about this one until Monday.

    Stay tuned...



    8 comments:

    Isabelle said...

    It does sound good and I will try it ( minus the bread lol)

    When I come down we'll definitely cook up a storm...

    Lauren said...

    Yum! They sound amazing!

    We only use ground turkey in our home too :)

    Sweet Simplicity said...

    Good job!!

    Lindsey said...

    Great work! Sounds yummo!!

    skinnyrunner said...

    you martha stewart, you. go girl.

    Naturally Caffeinated Family said...

    should i finish my protein shake, haha!! yay for you, that sounds so yummy!

    John Deere Mom said...

    Your title cracked me up!

    Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

    too funny!!!!

    Congrats on your sweet success! Can't wait to hear what your other dish was...and how everbody liked it...

    Blessings & Aloha!

    let's get acquainted

    My Photo
    THE Stephanie
    I’m Stephanie - wife to one extremely handsome cop; mother to two extremely silly kids. The hubs and I have been married since February ’99. I love him more each day and simply can’t get enough of him. My daughter, Ashton, is 12 going on 17. She’s beautiful, creative, smart, and oh, so sassy. Taylor, our son, is 8 and is so much like his daddy it’s scary. He makes me laugh all the time with the silly things he says and does. He won’t remember what you told him 5 minutes from now, just like his daddy. I love to laugh and spend time with friends and family. I’ve also recently discovered a love for cooking and enjoy sharing recipes. I love finding new blog friends, so be sure to leave a comment so I can do the same!
    View my complete profile

    I'm a weather addict