Biking 101: How not to die.

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Tuesday night while the kids were at Joey's mom's, we finally bought me a mountain bike. Our house backs up to a creek that has tons of trails - unpaved and paved - and Joey rides back there quite a bit, so I thought it would be fun to join him.

As we were headed home, I reminded him of the biking trauma I had suffered as a child. In the 3rd grade, I was riding bikes with my brother. We lived near a pond and there was a big dirt hill that we used to ride down. At the bottom of the hill were two trees, one on either side, that split the trail. One day, my ride down that hill didn't end so well.

Then, when I was in middle school, my friend and I were riding to Albertson's (a local grocery store) on a hot summer afternoon. We were almost there, just one downhill ride to go when I slowed down to avoid a GIANT rock in the road and my friend hit my back tire. All I remember is seeing her flying over my head and landing on the pavement.

Not good. She was ok, if you count a broken collar bone as ok.

Present day? I needed Joey to know that I had no plans of riding on the dirt trails. Too many bad memories. I just knew it wouldn't end well. But my husband, being the encourager that he is, just knew I could do it, so I thought I'd give it a try.

All I remember is hearing him say, "See it's nice and smooth, right?" as I turned a corner and slide to my death.

Ok, it wasn't death, but it was near amputation of my left leg below the knee.

Ok, so it wasn't near amputation, but it was a nasty scrape. And it hurt. Bad.

Needless to say, I continued on, because I'm a trooper like that, and we rode for 2 miles without incident. This is when Joey decided he needed to go off the pavement.

Nice knowin' you honey!

Here's what I saw: A handsome man on a white mountain bike go down a dirt hill and back up the other side - almost. The front tire didn't really want to go up, it kinda wanted to go back the other way.

That's when he got this, by a tree branch, we think:

You may not be able to tell from the picture, but he needs stitches. The skin is completely torn apart and has no intentions of coming back together, but he refuses to go to the doctor.

So that's when I got this:


And now he looks like this:

The lesson for today? Don't take lessons from us. You'll probably die. And I don't want that on my conscience.


12 comments:

JennyMac said...

Bad situation but great post! Sorry to hear about the accident. OUCH.

Joey said...

honey, it's a battle scar, and besides, you can't expect to never fall! I had fun and I love you!

Lindsey said...

Ouch!! Poor guy!

Tina said...

Joey go to Tx Med Clinic at least...you need a tetanus shot!! :-)

blessedmomto7 said...

OH GREAT! We are leaving to go buy me one TODAY! I WILL remember this story OWIE!

Staci said...

your nuts! nuts i tell ya....ill stick to running.

Grand Pooba said...

Lesson learned!

Jenster said...

thank you for allowing me to live vicariously through you!!!!!

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Ok, you're right, you need to keep it on level terrain... a stationary bike or the stand you put a bike on, would do it! OUCH!

so, typical of a man's man (my hubby is one also!) to forgo the doctor and just handle it "MacGyver" style! (remember MacGyver? the T.V. guy who can come up with a flying machine with a couple of wires and a toothpick?)

(ps. many,many words of thanks for helping me out with my never-ending blogging questions :o)

John Deere Mom said...

I am so sorry he fell, but I do appreciate the leg shot. ;)

MamaMia said...

Sounds like The Bike Lesson by Jan and Stan Berenstain.

Tell your hubby to go get stitches! He doesn't want that pretty leg scarred in a jagged manner, does he??

Happy Fourth of July!

disa said...

視訊聊天,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,6k聊天室,視訊聊天室,成人聊天室,中部人聊天室,免費視訊,視訊交友,視訊美女,視訊做愛,正妹牆,美女交友,玩美女人,美女,美女寫真,美女遊戲,hi5,hilive,hi5 tv,a383,微風論壇,微風,伊莉,伊莉討論區,伊莉論壇,sogo論壇,台灣論壇,plus論壇,plus,痴漢論壇,維克斯論壇,情色論壇,性愛,性感影片,校園正妹牆,正妹,AV,AV女優,SEX,走光,a片,a片免費看,A漫,h漫,成人漫畫,免費A片,色情網站,色情遊戲,情色文學,麗的色遊戲,色情,色情影片,同志色教館,色色網,色遊戲,自拍,本土自拍,kk俱樂部,後宮電影院,後宮電影,85cc免費影城,85cc免費影片,免費影片,免費小遊戲,免費遊戲,小遊戲,遊戲,好玩遊戲,好玩遊戲區,A片,情趣用品,遊戲區,史萊姆好玩遊戲,史萊姆,遊戲基地,線上遊戲,色情遊戲,遊戲口袋

let's get acquainted

My Photo
THE Stephanie
I’m Stephanie - wife to one extremely handsome cop; mother to two extremely silly kids. The hubs and I have been married since February ’99. I love him more each day and simply can’t get enough of him. My daughter, Ashton, is 12 going on 17. She’s beautiful, creative, smart, and oh, so sassy. Taylor, our son, is 8 and is so much like his daddy it’s scary. He makes me laugh all the time with the silly things he says and does. He won’t remember what you told him 5 minutes from now, just like his daddy. I love to laugh and spend time with friends and family. I’ve also recently discovered a love for cooking and enjoy sharing recipes. I love finding new blog friends, so be sure to leave a comment so I can do the same!
View my complete profile

I'm a weather addict