I stole this from my husband.

Friday, June 19, 2009

Yeah, I stole this from my husband. I don't think he'll mind, 'cuz he's my husband.

Read this and then I'll throw my two cents in:

Ok, so I am in sales. Outside sales. Which means that is is my job to acquire new business opportunities for my company. Believe me, the worst part of my job is prospecting. That is - finding people who are willing to sit down with you and listen to what you have to say. I don't sell things out of a bag or have a worthless product. I work for an IT company providing high level support for Servers, computers, phone systems, etc. We are a Microsoft GOLD Partner, and a Dell Premier Dealer. Not just a fly by night computer co. working out of some one's garage.

So, yesterday, I printed off my marketing piece and went out to deliver some information to some local companies. I'm NOT pushy at all. The just of my sales calls consist of my telling the receptionist that I'd like to drop off information on my company and then I ask for the contact info for the IT Manager. Simple. If you think about it, it's not different that sending out something in the mail. We just do it in person. So what.

So, I sent an email to an lady that was on the phone yesterday. I could have just sat there and listened to her whole conversation and waited until she got off the phone, but instead, I just left the info on the front desk, picked up her card and went on my day. This morning, I emailed her and this is how it went:

--- On Fri, 6/19/09, Joey Gorena <j****@palmerts.com> wrote:
From: Joey Gorena <
j****@palmerts.com>Subject: Follow UPTo: m****@sbcglobal.netDate: Friday, June 19, 2009, 8:51 AM
Marsha,

Hi, I stopped by your office yesterday and you were on the phone, and I left my card and a flyer with “duct tape” on the front. I just wanted touch base with you. Please keep us in mind if you have any computer or networking needs. Sales or service.

Thanks,

Joey Gorena, Business Development Manager
j****@palmerts.com
Monday to Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm CST
210.341.**** Ext. 125
866.818.**** Ext. 125


From: Marsha Clare **** [mailto:m****z@sbcglobal.net] Sent: Friday, June 19, 2009 9:09 AMTo: Joey GorenaSubject: Re: Follow UP

Mr. Gorena,

I am NOT interested, and remove me from your sales solicitation list. You obviously ignored my office sign which said "No Sales or Soliciting."

My Response:

You’re not on a list. Every office has that sign including mine. Every company markets/advertises, we choose to do it in person. You don’t have to be rude about it. Everyone has a job to do, and in this economy, you should be more respectful of those that are out trying to support their families and put food on the table instead of standing on the street begging for money. I wasn’t selling anything, simply hand delivering our advertising. Do you take the time to write hateful emails back to every company that sends you advertising in the mail? Of course not! I promise never to contact you again.


Now, before you go telling me that it's better to just let it go, blah, blah, blah. DON'T. I've been putting up with this for years, and yes, I take it personally. I don't normally say anything, but today, I just had to. It was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I'm tired of people treating sales people like the scum of the earth. Not every sales person is a sleezball that can't be trusted. Trust me, this lady is a lawyer and there are plenty of sleezy lawyers out there for sure!

Any ways, I feel better.

My two cents? Why do people have to be so rude? Seriously?

I mean, is it really necessary? Wouldn't the world be a better place to live if we could all just say please and thank you, wave when someone lets you into traffic, RSVP when requested, and just overall use common courtesy? What is wrong with people?

What has this world come to when everyone thinks they are intrinsically better than everyone else?

It really sickens me to be raising children in a world like this - it's like swimming up stream, constantly, to teach them that this is not how we will be!


8 comments:

Jenster said...

Sounds like the lady was having a bad day and took it out on Joey. She needs a good kick in the arse!

Megan said...

I think you should post the sleezeball's e-mail so we can put them on every single list there is!!

Jenster said...

Oh and P.S. it must break your heart that someone treats your husband, whom you love more than life, this way. I really do pray that this kind of stuff does not continue to occur....

lbradshaw said...

Hi fellow SITS gal! I'm new to this whole SITS thing and just started my blog so I'm off and running- anywho!

I totally feel for your husband. I just left my previous job working as an employment consultant- we helped people with disabilities find jobs in their communities. One of the key components to our job was job developing and we would go to businesses and try to talk to them about the work we do to see if they would be interested in hiring someone in the future who has a disability. Now, the service we provide is free because we get paid through the state, but even then we would have people slam doors in our face and say we were soliciting too, when we just wanted an opportunity to talk to someone and leave info, like your husband. I know it is so hard, and your husband has every right in the word to get that off his chest! I hope he gets a positive response soon to squash the negative one!

Tara Gibson said...

people these days! there are so many rude people out there!

Lindsey said...

So many rude people, UGH! Makes me sad!!

Lo said...

i was a receptionist for four years, recently just quit a month ago bc i hated the company and what they stood for. they're the same kind of people that would tell me i had to talk to "soliciters" like this. i never did. most of the time, the just-out-of-school kids wandering around would annoy me with their cannon cards and info but i always was kind and polite and took the info, then just tossed it when they left- i knew the owner wasn't interested. but when respectful people would come in, who knew what they were talking about, ESPECIALLY how respectful joey was???? yeah. i TRIED my best to pass on the info. i just worked for a-holes, sorry for the language, but it's true.

at least your husband has integrity and didn't let this person walk all over him. good for him.

MamaMia said...

I can't believe people make time to be rude.

What a great point Joey makes about everyone having a job to do.

Hope he's having a better week.

let's get acquainted

My Photo
THE Stephanie
I’m Stephanie - wife to one extremely handsome cop; mother to two extremely silly kids. The hubs and I have been married since February ’99. I love him more each day and simply can’t get enough of him. My daughter, Ashton, is 12 going on 17. She’s beautiful, creative, smart, and oh, so sassy. Taylor, our son, is 8 and is so much like his daddy it’s scary. He makes me laugh all the time with the silly things he says and does. He won’t remember what you told him 5 minutes from now, just like his daddy. I love to laugh and spend time with friends and family. I’ve also recently discovered a love for cooking and enjoy sharing recipes. I love finding new blog friends, so be sure to leave a comment so I can do the same!
View my complete profile

I'm a weather addict