"My Husband Rocks" Friday

Friday, May 1, 2009

11 years ago today, Joey asked me to marry him.

I knew I was going to marry Joey before we even had our first date. Let me take you back...

I dated the same guy all throughout high school, off and on, off and on, and then for a couple of years after we graduated. I always knew this relationship wasn't right, but it was what I knew, so I kept going back to it.

When I finally decided to end this relationship in August 1997, I made a list. I knew that I needed to decide what I wanted in a boyfriend, and future husband, and if I didn't have something concrete to look at, I would buckle again.

So I made my list. Literally. I typed it up and even laminated it on a small card and put in my purse.

It wasn't like guys were beating down my door and I needed to be able to reference this at any given moment, but in February of 1998, after Bible study, I was the last to leave and a nice, good-looking guy walked me to my car.

I'll never forget getting into my car, watching him close the door behind me and then walking back into his house. At that moment, God told me to look at that list.

I did. And I knew right then that I would marry that hot hunk of a guy that had walked me to my car. (Poor thing, he had no chance!)

We hadn't had a date. We hardly knew each other. But after that, it all just fell into place. We had our first date at the end of February and were engaged on May 1, 1998.

People say when you know, you know. And I knew. He knew too.

The day we got engaged Joey took me to the Tower of the America's for a romantic dinner, and then we drove out to Boerne city lake, where he parked and proceeded to set up candles and a blanket in the bed of the truck.

Then he got his guitar... and sang the song that he sang to me when we first starting dating, "Yet". It was the sweetest thing ever, but to this day he is still bitter that I didn't cry.

Baby, I love you more now than I did then. Happy 11 year engagement anniversary! :)


*You can read the Comedy Central version of this story on Joey's blog here.



8 comments:

Megan said...

Happy Anniversary!! Cute story ;) I have read Joey's version before and thought it was quite funny..

Isabelle said...

Awwwwww that was worth waiting 3 weeks for!!!!!! That is so cute. Happy anniversary

Jenny.Lee said...

Sweet story!

Joey said...

you left out the part about how you told me to break up with my girlfriend... lol

maybe I'll sing that song to you tonight :)

skinnyrunner.com said...

um.... WOWZERS, your hubby is hot! some of those pics on his blog.... yikes.
anyways, happy anniversary!

Polka Dots & Protein Bars said...

What a sweet story!!!

southernrose said...

Had to find out who THE Stephanie is (cause I thought I was THE only one :) Love the name of your blog. Also love hearing about how people met, and hearing it from both's perspectives is even cooler. I hadn't heard of the 30 Day Shred workout but now may have to check it out - I need a new challenge/routine.

Lishak said...

What a cute story! You guys look like such an adorable couple. :)

let's get acquainted

My Photo
THE Stephanie
I’m Stephanie - wife to one extremely handsome cop; mother to two extremely silly kids. The hubs and I have been married since February ’99. I love him more each day and simply can’t get enough of him. My daughter, Ashton, is 12 going on 17. She’s beautiful, creative, smart, and oh, so sassy. Taylor, our son, is 8 and is so much like his daddy it’s scary. He makes me laugh all the time with the silly things he says and does. He won’t remember what you told him 5 minutes from now, just like his daddy. I love to laugh and spend time with friends and family. I’ve also recently discovered a love for cooking and enjoy sharing recipes. I love finding new blog friends, so be sure to leave a comment so I can do the same!
View my complete profile

I'm a weather addict