I think it was the worst day of my life.

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

This morning, Ashton woke up complaining that her stomach, back, and neck hurt.

We had to be at the oral surgeon at 10am, so the complaining started early. I was already feeling horribly guilty and didn't sleep well at all, so this was not helping.

Granted, this is NOT about me about at all. I know my baby was trying to be strong but was absolutely terrified. And it only got worse the closer we got to the surgeon's office.

About 5 minutes away I prayed for her, that the Lord would give her peace and calm her stomach (since she kept telling me she was going to throw up). This seemed to help, since about 2 minutes later she was in much better spirits... until we walked into the office and she completely lost it.

Immediately I started telling her to think about what she could eat when the surgery was over - mommy's famous baked potatoes, daddy's famous milk shakes, and all the ice cream a girl could ever want! That's what we focused on every time the tears started to fall.

It was the worst day of my life.

I updated my Facebook status with this: OMG... Talk about ripping my heart out, throwing it on the floor, stomping on it, then tossing it in a blender. Sometimes being a mom is the worst feeling in the world.

It's true. As I tried to calm Ashton down as we waited for the surgery to begin, it took every ounce of strength I could muster to keep from breaking down. But I knew I couldn't. I had to be strong for my baby. She needed me.

She was terrified of the IV, but the surgeon did it himself and promised her $1 if he didn't get it in the first time. At one point, Ashton said she wanted the dollar, but I told her I would give her the dollar anyway, because we really wanted that IV in right now! The surgeon was fabulous, and very quick, and Ashton was out in no time.

The surgery was complete in around 30 minutes and I was so proud of my baby! The 3 hours after were the worst, but once I got her to finally eat some pudding...

... and then mommy's famous baked potato (which turned out to be the best baked potato in the entire world!)...

... she's now relaxing on the couch watching Sponge Bob and feeling great!

Hopefully I can find my heart and get in back my chest. No one said motherhood would be easy, right?

Thanks for all the prayers. I hate to think how the day would have gone without them.



15 comments:

Isabelle said...

I know I made fun of you but I'm really happy everything went well! I thought about your fam all day :)

sassy stephanie said...

Whew. Glad it is over!

Mighty M said...

So happy to hear everything went well and you kept it together even if you were mush on the inside!

blessedmomto7 said...

Wow-sounds like you both had a rough time. God is good-HE worked it out for you sister. YAY! Give Ash a hug from this crew!

Elizabeth said...

What a long day you all must have had... glad she is feeling better now, though.

Mimi Elise said...

Wow, what a day!

Tiffany said...

So glad it all went well!

Sweet Simplicity said...

I'm so glad everything went well!

Polka Dots & Protein Bars said...

Poor sweet Ashton! I'm glad everything went smoothly, but I hate the pain you both endured!

Grand Pooba said...

Oh, not fun! Poor thing! It must have been torture for both of you!

Lindsey said...

You are such a good mom!!

Lo said...

oh goodness..... she was so excited but then when faced with it, reality sets in- the idea of something is always better than reality, isn't it? i'm so glad to hear she's okay. she'll recover and be better than before :)

MamaMia said...

Glad to hear you guys got through the surgery. Much better to be on the recovery end because that anticipation can really be awful.

Naturally Caffeinated Family said...

aww i'm so sorry you guys had to go through all of that! i'm so glad it went well!

Rachel said...

So glad it went quickly...but yes it's definately tough being a mom!

let's get acquainted

My Photo
THE Stephanie
I’m Stephanie - wife to one extremely handsome cop; mother to two extremely silly kids. The hubs and I have been married since February ’99. I love him more each day and simply can’t get enough of him. My daughter, Ashton, is 12 going on 17. She’s beautiful, creative, smart, and oh, so sassy. Taylor, our son, is 8 and is so much like his daddy it’s scary. He makes me laugh all the time with the silly things he says and does. He won’t remember what you told him 5 minutes from now, just like his daddy. I love to laugh and spend time with friends and family. I’ve also recently discovered a love for cooking and enjoy sharing recipes. I love finding new blog friends, so be sure to leave a comment so I can do the same!
View my complete profile

I'm a weather addict