Let's rodeo, y'all!

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I love the rodeo. Happens this time of year in South Texas and we're always sure to go at least once.

I'm not sure what I love most about the rodeo. Maybe it's the one-on-one time with my hubby.


Or maybe it's the beautiful animals.

Hmmm.... could definitely be the funnel cake.

Maybe it's the actual rodeo? How about the bull riding? You know, take a bull - well, we all know what they do - put a crazy guy on it with a death wish, and let's all watch!


Oh, no. I think it's steer wrestling. Yeah, this one is great - and not the slightest bit inhumane. They take a poor little steer who clearly has know idea what's going on, give him a "head start", then send a cowboy after him whose main objective is to twist the steers neck until he flips over on his back. Now this, my friends, is good Texas fun! (I wanted to rescue a steer and take one home but Joey didn't think it was legal to keep him in the backyard.)

Hold on, peeps, I haven't gotten to the best part! Mutten Bustin'!!

This is a rodeo classic. We fill an arena with 20,000 on-lookers, then find 10 poor little children who are willing to risk their lives for a gold and silver belt buckle. (I would like to take this time to plead with the parents of these children - FORK OUT THE MONEY FOR THE DANG BELT BUCKLE!) The children climb on the back of a sheep (?) which will run like a bat out of hell when that gate opens. The kid who hangs on the longest wins. Good times... Well, I won't lie. Some tears were shed.


When good rodeos go bad...


Actually, I'm pretty sure all of that was just the opening act for this anyway....


A little Taylor Swift.

Yeah, she rocked. It was a great concert. And I'm a horrible mom for not scoring enough tickets to take the kids.

Shhhh.... don't tell them we went.

12 comments:

Megan said...

Ohhh I love rodeos!! & very exciting that you got to see Taylor Swift! I have never been to a concert..

blessedmomto7 said...

A little more upscale the the ones ROUND HERE! Glad ya'all had a date-YEE HAW! Funnel cakes..mmmmm

Lace said...

Fun! I went to the rodeo a few times when I was little and loved the good ol' country fun! :) & Taylor Swift!? I'm jealous!

Rachel said...

What a great day with you and Joey; and by the pics he was enjoying the ride with you too!!

Taylor Swift has such a great voice...so cool that you got a concert and a rodeo in one!

Megan said...

SO fun that you got to see Taylor Swift! How did she sound live?

Lindsey said...

YAY for date night! You guys are so cute! Love the pics and jealous you saw Taylor Swift!

Staci said...

def the funnel cakes!!

Baby Thomas RULES this casa! said...

Yee Haw!!! We are going March 7th--but we are taking the little guy! Fun times!!!

Jenster said...

I showed Allyn this pic of Taylor and she's ssssooooo jealous you went :)

Elisabeth- Truly Blessed said...

Okay, I think anywhere with funnel cakes gets my vote. Glad you had a great time with your hubby!
In Him,
E

Toni said...

OHHHH what a fun time I love the rodeo too.

sassy stephanie said...

yee haw! We are gearing up for the Houston show! The BBQ cook off started yesterday. This is one of my faaaavvve times of the year!

let's get acquainted

My Photo
THE Stephanie
I’m Stephanie - wife to one extremely handsome cop; mother to two extremely silly kids. The hubs and I have been married since February ’99. I love him more each day and simply can’t get enough of him. My daughter, Ashton, is 12 going on 17. She’s beautiful, creative, smart, and oh, so sassy. Taylor, our son, is 8 and is so much like his daddy it’s scary. He makes me laugh all the time with the silly things he says and does. He won’t remember what you told him 5 minutes from now, just like his daddy. I love to laugh and spend time with friends and family. I’ve also recently discovered a love for cooking and enjoy sharing recipes. I love finding new blog friends, so be sure to leave a comment so I can do the same!
View my complete profile

I'm a weather addict