And I thought I wasn't sentimental...

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Ok, if any of you have been reading my blog for a few months, you might remember this tragedy.

I'll wait. Go ahead and read it. I said was... it turned out good in the end.

Are you back? Ok.

I've never considered myself a sentimental person. I mean, I throw away everything that isn't tied down. Just last night Joey yelled from the kitchen "what in the world do their teachers expect us to do with all these crafts that they send home everyday?"

You have to admit, 5 or 6 crafts everyday is excessive even for the mom who insists on keeping everything her precious children's hands ever touch!

My response? Wait until the children aren't looking and throw them away.

Don't hate. I do look at them and "ooo" and "ahh" over how cute they are. And I do keep the occasional exceptional art project. But I don't live in a mansion that can hold everything that comes home from school!

Anyway, back to my story. Taylor has had his favorite blanket since he was a newborn. We never used another one. Always the same one. It was given to us by a friend and he just took a liking to it and would never let it go. As he grew older he wasn't clingy to it other than when he slept, but when he slept, he wanted that blanket!

Last weekend, it went missing and I don't think it's coming back.

Luckily I'm the only one who seems to be having a hard time with it. I think he's pretty much over it, but I guess to me it was the last little thing that kept him being "my baby."

Ok, can someone tell me why tears just started gushing down my face?? Seriously...

Sad. I guess I was just expecting to be able to fold it and keep it in the closet.

It's just a blanket, right?

10 comments:

scargosun said...

I still have my blankie. :) I was not the type to carry it all around but it was in my bed everynight.

Miss Anne said...

That's some sad stuff :(

(Make him a new improved big kid one??)

:)

Rachel said...

OH STEPH!!!!! I feel you...Love has a blankie too...Zman never got into it and it's sentimental because she is my baby still...even though she is 3 and acts like she is 15 I don't know what I would do without it or if she didn't want it anymore...it's been through the ringer and I want to save it...I asked if I can buy her another one...so she can replace it...she too got it from my girlfriend...it's one of those Little Giraffe blankets but you can't tell now after only being 3 years old.I totally feel you. It's ok to shed those tears...it just means he is growing up a little and we want them to stay young!

Weeksie50 said...

Oh, that is so sad. I am sorry you are sad about it..

One of the little ones in my class was still attached to a blanket.. and his mother made a cute back pack out of it..Okay, so he wears it almost all day..but still it helps..lol.

5 or 6 crafts a day. Ack. That is a lot..

Jo Ann said...

Oh my, I can't imagine Taylor without his blanket... altho I'm glad he won't be like someone else we know who took his with him when he finally left home... did I just say that??? Ugh!

Katie said...

awwww :(

you could always make him another one, but I know that probably won't hold as much meaning as the first.

Liz said...

Aw, I'm sorry. My poor mom has saved all our toys and crafts all these years. There's practically a closet full of rubbermaid tubs full of them. I'd probably throw things away, but the blanket is a big deal. :)

Isabelle said...

Awwwwwwwwwww Steph! He will always be your baby, always!!!!

Amy said...

That be SO sad...I can totally see how you would be crying! My theory: since you aren't super-sentimental, the things you do treasure probably are VERY valuable to you!

Your husband's comment cracked me up btw. Something mine would totally say!

Amy said...

I meant "would be" so sad. I wasn't trying to comment in ebonics

let's get acquainted

My Photo
THE Stephanie
I’m Stephanie - wife to one extremely handsome cop; mother to two extremely silly kids. The hubs and I have been married since February ’99. I love him more each day and simply can’t get enough of him. My daughter, Ashton, is 12 going on 17. She’s beautiful, creative, smart, and oh, so sassy. Taylor, our son, is 8 and is so much like his daddy it’s scary. He makes me laugh all the time with the silly things he says and does. He won’t remember what you told him 5 minutes from now, just like his daddy. I love to laugh and spend time with friends and family. I’ve also recently discovered a love for cooking and enjoy sharing recipes. I love finding new blog friends, so be sure to leave a comment so I can do the same!
View my complete profile

I'm a weather addict