Buried with Christ in baptism...

Monday, August 25, 2008

Ashton has been so excited to get baptized, and Sunday afternoon, she finally did.

My sweet girl has been telling us for quite some time now that she wanted to be baptized. We talk frequently about Jesus, how you get to heaven, how you don't get to heaven, and all sorts of spiritual things. Most recently, Ashton began telling me this:

"Mommy, it's like a dart board. To get to heaven on your own, without Jesus, you would have to throw your darts in the tiny red circle every time. If you missed even once you would go to hell. But God knew that no one could be that perfect so He sent Jesus - who was perfect - to die on the cross for our sins. All we have to do is believe in Him, and ask Him into our hearts and to forgive us of our sins and then when we die we'll go to heaven and be with Him forever."

My friends, it is that simple. If my 8 year old daughter can grasp it, you can too!

Yesterday, we celebrated her new life in Christ with baptism - the public declaration of the commitment she has made in her heart to follow Jesus. Family and friends joined us as we tried to beat the thunderstorms...



My dad is a Pastor, and he has had the privilege of baptizing me, my brother, my husband and now my baby girl.



Here my dad is explaining what baptism means and why we choose to do this. Then Joey told a little story that I just have to share. I am so proud of both of my children!



On Saturday, our church (which meets in downtown San Antonio) had a community outreach day in which they went into the surrounding neighborhoods and mowed lawns, handed out cookies, delivered fliers for Sunday's Block Party, and removed graffiti from community walls and fences. I wasn't able to go, but Joey really wanted the kids to take part in this. As he was driving them downtown, he told them "now I want you to know why we're doing this," and before he could explain, Ashton said, "I know why we're going, Daddy - to serve the Lord." Both Ashton and Taylor went door to door and handed out fliers. Thank you, Lord, for letting us know we're doing something right!

Here's my mom and Taylor (with a scorpion painted on his face from the earlier "block party").



Here she goes...


Because you have trusted in Christ as your personal Savior, and want the world to know...


Buried with Christ in baptism...


... raised to walk in a brand new life!


Mommy and daddy are SO proud of you! There are just no words to explain. I love you sweet girl!

8 comments:

Debra said...

This is precious! Praise the Lord for all of His mercies in every form they come! Especially in a child accepting Him and following in baptism.

God is good .. always!

Lauren said...

I am so proud of you Ashton! I can't wait for Cameryn to one day make her decision. Love you all!
Cousin Lauren

bethany said...

Way to go Ashton! So wonderfully encouraging for me to see a child so easily understand the gospel (I was not exposed to this as a child and it just blows me away each time!) and respond with saving faith, then walk in obedience to testify to friends and family that she is committed! Awesome job little girl, awesome job!

Allmykids123 said...

Just beautiful!

Baby Thomas RULES this casa! said...

What a sweet day this must have been!!! Looks like you guys have lots of fun as a family! I can't wait to save up enough pennies to have you make me a super sassy page!

Jo Ann said...

What a joy it was to see David baptize his first grandchild! And in the pool he helped create! God is good - all the time.
Jo Ann (MaMa)

Perksofbeingme said...

I wish I had the understanding of all of the god/jesus stuff that your little girl does. I think being older makes things more complicated. It seems like every time I feel like I'm starting to wrap my head around it, something gets muddled up. Maybe I need to have a conversation with your daughter about it. Who knows, maybe a child explaining it will help it make sense.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the pictures, I too am glad David was able to do it in the baptimal that he played such a huge part in getting for our church.

- Ginny

let's get acquainted

My Photo
THE Stephanie
I’m Stephanie - wife to one extremely handsome cop; mother to two extremely silly kids. The hubs and I have been married since February ’99. I love him more each day and simply can’t get enough of him. My daughter, Ashton, is 12 going on 17. She’s beautiful, creative, smart, and oh, so sassy. Taylor, our son, is 8 and is so much like his daddy it’s scary. He makes me laugh all the time with the silly things he says and does. He won’t remember what you told him 5 minutes from now, just like his daddy. I love to laugh and spend time with friends and family. I’ve also recently discovered a love for cooking and enjoy sharing recipes. I love finding new blog friends, so be sure to leave a comment so I can do the same!
View my complete profile

I'm a weather addict