"Your Grace is Enough"

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Warning: You may need a tissue.

About three and a half years ago, a friend of mine (who I'd known since she was 9!) announced she was pregnant with her first child. She and her husband were very excited, and of course started planning for her arrival. A few months into the pregnancy they were given some heartbreaking - no, tragic - news. The sweet baby that was growing in my friends tummy had a chromosomal defect and had no chance of living outside the womb. Their OB strongly suggested that the pregnancy be terminated, but my friend decided that her God was big enough to heal such a defect - if He so chose.

And so began months of prayer gatherings with my friend and another very close friend, her mom, and several other prayer warriors. We would pray and pray and worship the God that we all served - the God that we knew could heal. We would cry and beg God to please rescue this little life. We believed He could, but we knew He was sovereign. We knew He had a plan that we may not understand right now. It may take years to see... or we may never see.

When the day came for my friend to give birth, the praying certainly didn't stop. All of us gathered in the chapel, in her delivery room, in the waiting room - any place we could - and prayed. Oh, and we also had a CD player, still worshiping. God inhabits the praises of His people, right? My friend gave birth and the precious baby girl just couldn't make it outside of her mommy's womb, so she went to be with Jesus.

Now, the reason I'm posting this story is not make everyone cry, although I'm sure many of you are crying... I can hardly type in between wiping the tears. What I want to tell you is there is one song that we would play over and over that we just couldn't get enough of. Here are the lyrics:

Your Grace is Enough (Chris Tomlin)
Great is Your faithfulness, oh God
You wrestle with the sinner's heart
You lead us by still waters into mercy
And nothing can keep us apart

So remember your people
Remember your children
Remember your promise, oh God

Your grace is enough
Your grace is enough
Your grace is enough for me

Great is Your love and justice God
You use the weak to lead the strong
You lead us in the song of Your salvation
And all Your people sing along

So remember your people
Remember your children
Remember your promise, oh God

Your grace is enough
Your grace is enough
Your grace is enough for me

This right here is what I believe God wanted us to see. I'm not by any means saying that God wanted my friends baby to pass away, but what I am saying is that God used the situation to reveal something about Himself.

Three and a half years later, just this morning, as I was driving to work, this song came on the radio. All of this began to rush back into my memory and God reminded me that no matter where I am, what I've done, or where I'm going, His grace is enough.

This is what I will remember as HER legacy.

9 comments:

David & Jo Ann said...

I'm so thankful that our God has given YOU the gift of music and worship. You have touched lives over the years and shown the love and power of our almightly God. I, too, remember this situation and I know that God heals the hearts of the brokenhearted and brings joy to those who believe. Praise God for the blessings that have flowed out of this tragedy. His grace is enough.
Mom

Katy Lin :) said...

you and stacy with the tear-jerkers this morning! what a beautiful testimony :)

Katy Lin :) said...

geez - i do know how to spell staci's name, i'm not that big of a dork

Hot Tub Lizzy said...

Music for me is TRULY how God speaks to me.

Toni said...

What a sad yet beautiful story. God always has a reason for everything and I 100% agree His grace is always enough even through the hardest of times

Toni said...

I am not musically inclined as far as singing goes but God uses music through me I dance to worship him and nothing gives me more joy. Anytime I can only Imagine or Alabaster Box comes on it reduces me to tears, those are the most powerful songs I have danced to personally. It so wonderful to see others use the gift God gave them to worship with

Romi said...

How beautiful. Thank you for the Grace moment. We are touched in many ways and that beautiful baby's story and gift from God is reaching out to others through you and your post today.

KimmyJ said...

Beautiful post.

Angelique said...

Praise God! We may not always know why He does what He does but you are right about knowing one thing - His grace is enough! Beautiful story.

let's get acquainted

My Photo
THE Stephanie
I’m Stephanie - wife to one extremely handsome cop; mother to two extremely silly kids. The hubs and I have been married since February ’99. I love him more each day and simply can’t get enough of him. My daughter, Ashton, is 12 going on 17. She’s beautiful, creative, smart, and oh, so sassy. Taylor, our son, is 8 and is so much like his daddy it’s scary. He makes me laugh all the time with the silly things he says and does. He won’t remember what you told him 5 minutes from now, just like his daddy. I love to laugh and spend time with friends and family. I’ve also recently discovered a love for cooking and enjoy sharing recipes. I love finding new blog friends, so be sure to leave a comment so I can do the same!
View my complete profile

I'm a weather addict