"My Husband Rocks" Friday

Friday, July 18, 2008



For those of you who may be new to "My Husband Rocks" Friday, KatyLin over at The Great Adventure started this tradition a couple months back and I think it's great! So if you're not on the band wagon, jump on!!

Today we're going to talk about how great my hubby is at getting me out of my comfort zone.

I'm the kind of person who eats the same thing at the my favorite restaurants because if I order something new, I may not like it. If I find a shirt I like, I'll buy it in 3 different colors. I listen to the same radio station every morning on my way to work. Get it?

Joey, on the other hand, will order different things at restaurants, buy random flavors of gum, listen to every genre of music - I just don't get it. It's so weird.

But no matter how weird my hott hubby may be, I am forever indebted to him for introducing me to pico de gallo, Trident Splash Cool Citrus Lime gum, and HEB Bravo laundry detergent.

I know, you're all thinking I'm crazy, so before you commit me to the nearest institution, let me explain.

Pico de gallo: We were on our second trip to Playa del Carmen, eating dinner in the resort restaurant. Joey had some sort of Mexican food (in Mexico? astonishing, I know) with pico piled on top. He was raving about how great it was and offered me a bite, to which I politely said, "no thank you." (Actually it was more like "YUK! I hate cilantro!!") He continued to tell me how fabulous it was and asked me to just take one bite, "you'll love it, I promise!" So I took a bite, all the while knowing I would hate it, because I know what I like and don't like.

Oooo... let me tell you, when that pico hit my tongue it was like a little bit of heaven in the form of tiny tomatoes, onions, peppers, and cilantro. Yes, cilantro! I've been hooked ever since. And on top of that, Joey now makes the best pico de gallo you will ever put in your mouth.

Trident Splash Cool Citrus Lime gum: (Sorry honey, but I'm pretty sure they're no longer making this.) First of all, YUK! Just the name makes me wanna throw up a bit in my mouth. I'm a cinnamon girl. Always have been, always will be. At least that's what I thought. Until that dreaded day. I had seen this gum in Joey's car and like I said, just the thought of the flavor mixture was nauseating, but one day he said it. "Just try it, honey, you'll like it. I promise!"

So I gave in to that crooked smile and put a piece of gum in my mouth. I bit down and that splash of flavor burst onto my tongue like a cool spring breeze. It was so refreshing. I loved it. And the flavored? It lasted for hours!

HEB Bravo laundry detergent: It has taken me years to find the perfect laundry detergent. I must have a detergent that leaves my clean clothes smelling clean. They can't just be clean, they have to smell clean. I finally found a detergent that I love and have been using it for several years. Sure it's pricey, but my clothes smell good. What's the problem?

So I asked Joey to pick up some detergent when he was at the store last week. I wrote down the exact brand, scent, everything, and what did he do? He came home with the generic store brand because it was $5 cheaper. THIS my friend is why I don't let my hubby (who rocks) go to the store. But I don't go to the store either (remember, I've completely given up on the whole domestic diva thing) so I resort to using the detergent, all the while knowing that the laundry will NOT smell good until the detergent is gone.

I had to do a load of laundry in the middle of the week when Ashton returned from camp and as I was transferring the clothes from the washer to the dryer, I noticed they smelled quite nice. Almost pleasant. But they'll never smell this good by the time they're run through the dryer. The next morning when I opened the dryer to get Ashton a pair of shorts, it was like I had walked into a field of fresh flowers. Had someone planted a garden in my dryer? This is remarkable!

I could go on and on... South Park, Family Guy, Hip Hop, Stupid Comedies - all things that I've grown to enjoy because of my hubby that ROCKS.

What's next babe? Looks like you're going to have to find me a new gum....

9 comments:

Katy Lin :) said...

you guys are too cute! you both so totally rock! :) have a fantabulous weekend!

Joey said...

haha, well, babe, i'm glad you liked the detergent. you never told me ;)

i need to correct you though... its not "trident"... its "dentyne"

Love you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hot Tub Lizzy said...

Awww - and good for you for being OPEN to new things. Lots of people would dig in their heels and refuse.

Angelique said...

That's great! I'm like you - I don't try new things. I just don't. Dh, on the other hand, isn't afraid to. Joey definitely rocks for making you realize different is good! And Ican't believe what a small world this is - you're from SA? I didn't realize you and Stephanie were both from there. I'm from there as well and miss it at ton.

Angelique said...

I should have said Staci in my post! I guess I just had your name on my mind since I was on your blog. Sorry!

Christina said...

I'm the same way about trying new foods.

But I'm all about some pico de gallo. Can I have his recipe?

Lishak said...

It's so great that your hubby inspires you to try new things. I am like you, I stay with what I know. Your hubby does rock!

Allmykids123 said...

Oh, I'm going to have to give that laundry detergent a try. I'm a Cheer kinda gal, but am kinda tired of it.

Your hubby sounds like a keeper!

Mommasboyz said...

You guys crack me up!! I needed a laugh this am after getting up so many time with the baby!! I think you and Joey are a perfect match..so glad you 2 found each other..he IS a keeper!!

let's get acquainted

My Photo
THE Stephanie
I’m Stephanie - wife to one extremely handsome cop; mother to two extremely silly kids. The hubs and I have been married since February ’99. I love him more each day and simply can’t get enough of him. My daughter, Ashton, is 12 going on 17. She’s beautiful, creative, smart, and oh, so sassy. Taylor, our son, is 8 and is so much like his daddy it’s scary. He makes me laugh all the time with the silly things he says and does. He won’t remember what you told him 5 minutes from now, just like his daddy. I love to laugh and spend time with friends and family. I’ve also recently discovered a love for cooking and enjoy sharing recipes. I love finding new blog friends, so be sure to leave a comment so I can do the same!
View my complete profile

I'm a weather addict