Build-A-Bear, Pay-A-Bundle

Tuesday, June 24, 2008



I admit it. I'm a sucker.

So I was at the mall with the kids the other day and as we were walking I saw Build-A-Bear Workshop across the way. I did everything I could to distract the kids, but they saw it anyway. They begged to go in, so I gave in, but told them were NOT "building a bear" today. It was too expensive and we had already spent plenty of money.

And besides, your daddy will kill me.

As you can see, I'm a woman of my word.



I know, I know. It goes against every parenting book out there to say one thing and do another. But seriously, just look at those faces!! Could YOU say no???

So I filled out the loan paperwork (using the kids college funds as collateral), cuz that's what you have to do to BUILD-A-BEAR!!! And off we went...

Step 1: Stuff it.




Step 2: Squeeze it to make sure it's fluffy enough.


Step 3: Choose a heart for your bear (that costs $5 more! And what is the mom supposed to say at this point, no?? Whatev...) and make a wish.




Step 4: Brush it.




Step 5 would have been to use mine and Joey's retirement funds to buy clothes for the silly stuffed animals, but mommy has to draw the line somewhere! And that line is drawn at anything that prevents me from spending my retirement sipping margaritas on the sandy beaches of Playa del Carmen.

The funny part of all this is I spent the entire drive home telling the kids how cute their animals were and mumbling under my breath "daddy is gonna kill me."

When we got home the kids ran inside to show daddy their "Build-A-Bears" and the first thing Ashton said to daddy was, "please don't kill mommy." As soon as Joey saw me he just died laughing... he knows I'm a sucker.

16 comments:

Joey said...

well, its okay honey, the kids know what they are doing... they are strong int the ways of the force! haha Its coming out of your allowance!

Joey said...

oh, and you better take that bear back to get the stitching fixed because Taylor wont even hold that expensive hunk of cotton... :)

Kat said...

We have so many build a bears around the house. I am not sure why the kids like to go. Or why they insist on getting clothes for it. When all our bears are naked and lonely...

Romi said...

My niece manages a "Build-a-Bear" store. If it makes you feel any better, her house is full of them. She can't resist them either and she works there:-)

David & Jo Ann said...

Geez, I'm glad you took them! I had thought about doing that - now I know I can't afford it - and my husband WOULD have killed me! Ha.
Mom

KimmyJ said...

Our BABs are naked to - what's up with that? I'm raising my hand as a mom/sucker too.

Jennifer said...

Too cute! I'm a sucker too. And your kiddos are too cute to resist!

Danielle-lee said...

Lol! That place is so damn expensive! I will NEVER go back! (please don't mark my words...I'm a sucker too)

Jessica said...

LOL Cute story.

Trenches of Mommyhood said...

Yeah, I totally distract my boyz at the Mall when we pass by that money-sucker.

Found you thru the SITS gals!

Toni said...

WE made the mistake of buying everything to give the bear a nice comfy little life full of clothes and accesories, now we avoid that store like the plague LOL. I featured you in my Mid-week Blog Shout Out over at A Daily Dose of Toni I also featured your hubby's blog as well I thought it would be great inspiration for my *cough*husband*cough*, ahem my readers LOL.

The Mom said...

My kids are BAB fanatics! And my Hubby detests the sight of them LOL!!

Katy Lin :) said...

how cute :) you're not wrapped around their little fingers at all! :)

Britt said...

It's the 'puppy faces' .. they'll get you every time. I'm teaching my two year old to use hers (which I taught her when she was much younger) on her daddy when she really wants something. Now if only mine works as well as hers. Oh wait, it does!

Well, they are only young once right? Surely they won't be pulling that routine on you when they are 15 .. right? :o)

Hipmomofboyz said...

oh I remember when my kids were little, I use to do everything to avoid that store. But, it is really fun to go there. Looks like you guys had a great time.

Jen said...

Every time we walk by that store in the mall, Hayden always says something about it and wants to go in. I pretended that I don't hear him and keep walking so far its worked but I don't know for how long.

let's get acquainted

My Photo
THE Stephanie
I’m Stephanie - wife to one extremely handsome cop; mother to two extremely silly kids. The hubs and I have been married since February ’99. I love him more each day and simply can’t get enough of him. My daughter, Ashton, is 12 going on 17. She’s beautiful, creative, smart, and oh, so sassy. Taylor, our son, is 8 and is so much like his daddy it’s scary. He makes me laugh all the time with the silly things he says and does. He won’t remember what you told him 5 minutes from now, just like his daddy. I love to laugh and spend time with friends and family. I’ve also recently discovered a love for cooking and enjoy sharing recipes. I love finding new blog friends, so be sure to leave a comment so I can do the same!
View my complete profile

I'm a weather addict