Hands and feet

Monday, April 21, 2008

I'd like to take a minute and share something with you that has really touched me over that past week or so. Without getting into the details, you'll need to know that a dear friend of my family was diagnosed with cancer in the last week. He and his wife and children (who are all grown with families of their own now) have been dear friends of my family for almost 20 years now.

Our families have seen graduations, marriages, moves (several on the Henning side), babies, illness, healing, laughter, joy, prayer, and honestly, I could go on for days. I'm really not sure how to put into words what the Buck's mean to the Hennings (and the Gorenas).

In the midst of Ron's diagnosis I began to pray. Now I will be the first to admit that I am not a prayer warrior. I have friends that I love dearly and I try my hardest to pray for them when they need me, but I confess, I do fall short. With this circumstance though, I felt God tugging at me to not give up and to keep on praying.

BUT I also heard God tell me that this was a time when I could give feet to my faith. James 2:17 says "Faith that doesn't lead us to do good deeds is all alone and dead!"

Friends, let me tell you that Ron & Carolyn do not have a dead faith!! They have lived a life, and I'm sure they have no plans to stop now, of faith that is alive! From being brave enough to allow teenagers into their home for an indefinite amount time when Chi Alpha had nowhere else to meet, to childrens' swim parties and youth swim parties, to always having an open door...

Please allow me to share with you what the hands and feet of Christ look like on the earth today. Nearly 70 people showed up to the Buck's casa to help with some work that Ron wanted to get done - that he would NEVER have been able to do on his own before surgery.








This is probably about 3/4 of the people - the others are behind the camera. After we had completed the work we gathered to pray for Ron and his family.


The following pictures are a snapshot of what I remember about Ron & Carolyn as I grew up. They always had a party going on. There were always people in the pool having a great time, always something on the grill, oldies music blaring...



As I was completing this blog entry, this song came to mind. I think it is exactly what Ron and Carolyn have already done, as evidenced by the masses who have joined to show support and love.

Legacy
by Nichole Nordeman

I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love?
Did I point to You enough to make a mark on things?
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace who blessed your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy


Thanks, Ron & Carolyn for allowing us all to be blessed in this way. We love you dearly and thank you for the example you have been and continue to be.

2 comments:

Staci said...

awesome!! I am sooo glad to hear that soo many of Gods people showed up to help!!

Mommasboyz said...

Hi!! Just wanted to thank you for your comment on my post today!! I really enjoyed visitng your site and will be a frequent visitor!! I'm so sorry to hear about your dear friends, I'll keep them on our prayer list...You have a beautiful family and what seems like a fun and blessed life!! Your new blogging buddy, Angelia

let's get acquainted

My Photo
THE Stephanie
I’m Stephanie - wife to one extremely handsome cop; mother to two extremely silly kids. The hubs and I have been married since February ’99. I love him more each day and simply can’t get enough of him. My daughter, Ashton, is 12 going on 17. She’s beautiful, creative, smart, and oh, so sassy. Taylor, our son, is 8 and is so much like his daddy it’s scary. He makes me laugh all the time with the silly things he says and does. He won’t remember what you told him 5 minutes from now, just like his daddy. I love to laugh and spend time with friends and family. I’ve also recently discovered a love for cooking and enjoy sharing recipes. I love finding new blog friends, so be sure to leave a comment so I can do the same!
View my complete profile

I'm a weather addict